Chart & Market Analyzer rounding, sig digits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart & Market Analyzer rounding, sig digits

I am having difficulty understanding something. From what I have read, data series are values of type double. When I use the symbol YM, which is in integral values then I can understand that the prices are integral and the EMA is rounded to an integral in the panel 1 price chart. If I put the EMA indicator in a different panel then I can see the "unrounded" EMA value. In the Market Analyzer window I would like the YM EMA to display the "unrounded" EMA value but it only shows the rounded integral value. I have modified an EMA indicator to also calculate the difference between EMA[0] and EMA[1] and I would like to also display this unrounded calculation, but I only get integral values to display in Market Analyzer. Is there a way to force Market Analyzer to display a specified number of significant figures in a cell? MACD's and other indicators are showing fractional values for their YM calculations but I can't seem to get them for tthe YM EMA's and EMA difference. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward it to development. Rest assured that actual calculated values are still doubles though. They are just rounded in display.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you. Why do YM MACD and some other indicators show fractional values in Market Analyzer and not EMA?

Comment

All indicators will show values based on what is calculated and what that calculated value is rounded to.

Comment

I am not trying to belabor the point. I am just trying to understand. What determines what the indicator value is rounded to? It is clearly different depending on where the indicator is displayed, but why does the YM MACD show fractional values in MA and EMA does not? Is this someow part of the indicator properties that can be coded or is set somewhere deep in the NT code?

Comment

I got it to do what I wanted. I needed to set Overlay = false. That way, the indicator doesn't think that it's overlaying the price in panel 1 and it's not constrained to the YM integral values. With Overlay = false the fractional values show up in Market Analyzer and I can still select Panel 1 when I put the indicator on the chart to overlay the price. Thanks.

Comment

Not sure why you are confused. MACD values are on their own scaling between -1 and 1. EMA scaling is roughly around the price scaling. This is just the nature of the rounding.

Comment

I'm not sure why I'm confused either but some things take a while for me to get. Anyway, by setting Overlay = false I am able to get sufficient YM EMA fractional values to show up in market analyzer for what I want to do.

Comment

higler,

Sorry for the misuse of words. I did not mean to say why you are confused, but rather what you are confused at.

I believe the issue is related to what the scaling the indicator is "attached" to. With the information you provided it is more clear that when you disassociate the indicator with the price panel it goes to prints values not based on the instrument's tick size.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by lorem, Today, 09:18 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes