Saving Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving Charts

I'm curious to know why saving charts isn't intuitive? Every time I open up my current chart, I see yesterday's drawings and trades. No problem. I like that. However, I'd like to replay yesterday and do some simulated trading. I don't want to interfere with my existing chart. I'd like my existing chart to remain as is, and use a fresh, clean chart to trade. I'd then like to save this chart and continue to use it as my simulated trading chart for that instrument.

Any comments/suggestions/link references would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, the above is so basic that I can't imagine that it is not available.

Hi,

Have you tried enabling and using the Market Replay feature. You can record data and then replay it at a later point in time.

Make sure you have a chart open if you want to record it.

More info can be found here:

Use the arrows in the upper right corner to scroll through the documentation.
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, I tried market replay. I've saved a few days worth of data. The problem is, as I mentioned, I have no idea how to save my existing chart which has all of my live trades and start replay with a fresh, clean, pristine chart with no trades or indicators on it. I would then like to have this second chart, saved as my replay chart.

This is all common sense. Why would I want to have a chart with my live trades and my simulated trades on it? Also, saving a chart with all of its current drawings, buys/sells, etc, and being able to call it back and start using it again with the drawings, indicators, buys/sells intact is perhaps one of the most basic, foundational things a charting application can offer.

So, once again, how do I save a chart? I can't believe that this isn't possible, and I also can't believe that it isn't intuitive how to do this. I mean a File => Save Chart, or a right click on the chart and select Save Chart should be one of the first things that a "Charting" application should offer.

Bottom line, if the above isn't possible, and I'm beginning to think it isn't otherwise you would have responded to the title of the post which was "Saving Charts", rather than anything to do with "Replay", then how do I keep my simulated trades off of my chart? Better yet, how do I have one chart for live trades and one chart for simulated trades?

Thanks in advance. This is a fine product for trading and perhaps I'm going too far in my expectations that this is a charting application. Perhaps that isn't the intent with NinjaTrader, hence the lack of "File => Save Chart", which is present in the roughly 10 other charting software applications I've purchased over a 14 year period. Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for spending around 20,000 USD on software over the years but I consider it an education.

Regards,

John

Comment

Hi,

My apologies for misreading your question.

You are correct, it's simple:

Right click in the chart--> Templates--> Save as, or Save as Default.

We have more info on this in our Help Guide:
        Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Vincent View Post
          Hi,

My apologies for misreading your question.

You are correct, it's simple:

Right click in the chart--> Templates--> Save as, or Save as Default.

We have more info on this in our Help Guide:
          http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...Templates.html
          OK, I tried your selection. I opened up replay. I opened up New chart. I took a second to save the new chart as a new template with a completely brand new name (by the way, this syntax of saving as a template, means something different in every other charting application I posses, i.e. it means you are saving a chart with indicators that you like NOT that you are saving a chart in its pristine state) AND as I suspected, as I waited patiently for my data to display and waited for my trading time, lo and behold there were my live trades for that day!!!!

Well, so much for the suggestion. Now back to square one. This is really super simple. I want the following two things.

1) When I open up a chart I have designated as my live trading chart I want only live trades to show up.

2) When I open up a chart I have designated as my simulated trading chart, I want NO live trades to show up. I only want the trades I am about to engage in to show up. Why on earth would I bother to sim trade if all of my previous live trades show up? Kind of defeats the purpose of sim trading.

I know we must be missing something in the communication here. What I'm asking for is charting 101. I can't believe the professionals using NT haven't asked this question before.

Please advise.

Regards,

John

Comment

Hello John,

The "Plot executions" setting in the chart properties will allow you to display your executions in the chart. Make sure your live account is selected in ChartTrader and check if only your live executions are displayed in the chart.

You can set "Plot executions" on your simulated trading chart to "DoNotPlot". No executions will be displayed, however you will still see your submitted orders/positions when they are live.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

About the Save Chart, what I see is that with the template save function you can't keep all your drawings ( fibs, lines, squares, text, etc ).
              So I can't find any way to save a complete chart ( for future use or sharing purposes ) as any other charting tool has.
              Am I wrong ?
              pmaglio
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - The Indicator Store

Comment

You can save the workspace containing the chart to keep your drawings. Just go to File--> Workspaces--> Save, and then File--> Workspaces--> Close workspace before exiting the program. This will save your work.
                JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
                0 responses