Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How many charts can the platform handle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many charts can the platform handle?

My workspace has up to 25 charts, most of them with many complex indicators. I notice that the more charts are active, the longer it takes to built new ones, even simple charts w/o indicators. Sometimes it's even impossible to build a new chart and everything gets stuck. My trading machine has 16GB RAM, with NT using around 5GB usually. CPU usage is about 12% (I have a quad core 4GHz machine). Is there something like a built-in limit to the capability of the platform? I'm running the 64 bit version of NT7.

NinjaTrader 7 is only able to access one of your PC's cores to, so it's limited to the number of resources it has access. You may see a Not Responding at the top of your NinjaTrader 7 and you may even see a note stating that NinjaTrader 7 is unresponsive which you may ignore, however, NinjaTrader will be frozen until all the processes have completed.

It is also important to note that there has been increased volatility over the last week or so that has dramatically increased amount of incoming data that must be processed by your PC.

I would advise that you see the following PC performance guide for more information on the CPU intensive items.

* https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

I have provided below all the CPU intensive items that I would highly recommend looking at.

* We always recommend restarting or shutting down your PC at least once a day. If you have not done so today, please troubleshoot by doing so now.

* Running multiple applications while NinjaTrader 7 is running has been known to affect NinjaTrader's performance. Please limit the number of running applications on your PC to troubleshoot. Web browsers have been specifically known to consume a lot of resources.

* Limiting the number of workspaces that you have running. You may check this by navigating to the Control Center > File > Workspaces. Any workspace under Save Workspace As is an open and running workspace. Please close unused workspaces by selecting the open and running workspace, navigating back to the Control Center > File > Workspaces, and selecting Close Workspace.

* Having a minimum Days to load on your charts will be less intensive. This setting can be found by right-clicking on your charts and selecting Data Series.

* The indicator option Calculate on Bar Close set to False is known to be a more CPU intensive item. Setting it to True is less intensive. You may find this setting by right-clicking on your chart and selecting Indicators. Once the Indicators window appears, the setting will be located to the right-hand side of the window

* Large databases have been known to slow down NinjaTrader. If the above doesn't work, what size is your database? You may check this by navigating to the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > db folder. Next, right-click on the file called NinjaTrader.sdf and select Properties. The size of the database will be in the General tab.

* Also, if you are running a custom or 3rd party indicator or strategy, remove them to isolate if these custom NinjaScript objects may be a CPU or memory drain.

*NinjaTrader 8 is able to access all of your Cores in your CPU there for it can use more PC resources.

Please let me me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Is there a reason for the fact that NT7 never seems to use more than 5 or 6 GB out of the 16 available? Can that be changed somehow?

Comment

Hello Loki 45,
        Thank you for your post.
        Changing the amount of memory that NinjaTrader 7 is using will not necessarily increase the performance of your PC with NinjaTrader 7. In this case the bottleneck is going be the CPU usage.

The CPU is the component that moves files to and from the RAM as they are utilized. The CPU is responsible for the actual management of the files, whereas RAM is simply the place the files are temporarily placed.

Please let me me know if I may be of any further assistance.
        Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
        166 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post sidlercom80  
        Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
        0 responses
        1 view