RAM consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM consumption

Hi, there's a glitch I've encountered with memory consumption by NT. It was ok until I ran an extensive backtest that took up 1.5Gb of RAM, after which shut NT down without saving the workspace and restarted my computer. Then on next startup NT ate up 1Gb of RAM and took 2 minutes of time just to get started. Re-installing latest version of NT didn't help... What I should do at this point? I'm running WinXP SP2, .NET 2.0 SP1. Thank you!
    Last edited by billitin; 09-24-2008, 06:41 PM.

There will be optimizations in performance in NT7. In the meantime you can see this list of performance tips: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It looks like the only tip that might be relevant is 'uncheck "Run market replay recorder"'. That option was not checked initially. However, running NT makes that 1Gb of memory inaccessible which slows down my machine, as well as limits me for running more large tests, and that's quite inconvenient. Also, now after some time NT started to occasionally suddenly shut down... I'd appreciate if you could find a way to deal with this, not to wait until the December release.

Upon a few hours of inconvenience the problem vanished. After another crush of NT it reloaded as ever before. Hard to say what that was, you might get a note of this memory leak. Thanks for your consideration!
      Last edited by billitin; 09-25-2008, 01:23 AM. Reason: Problem vanished

Comment

billitin,

There is no memory leak. Memory is managed by .NET and it will free resources when it decides to. If you run large backtests every single data point requires memory and this is why it eats up all your RAM. Again, there will be improvements in NT7. You will need to work around your RAM limitations by doing smaller backtests for now.

Comment

Performance issues / Ram consumption

I've read the thread about RAM consumption and the performance tips. Why isn't possible to check the Store Real-time bar data and Run market replay recorder on instrument level?

Comment

It is possible. Most computers nowadays are powerful enough and have no issue with recording and storing at the same time. If you are seeing performance issues then you can consider turning one or the other off to improve performance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
              billitin,

There is no memory leak. Memory is managed by .NET and it will free resources when it decides to. If you run large backtests every single data point requires memory and this is why it eats up all your RAM. Again, there will be improvements in NT7. You will need to work around your RAM limitations by doing smaller backtests for now.
              I think there is a memory leak because the memory consumption gradually grows just as ninjatrader gradually slows down until the memory used is over 1 gig (I have 4 gigs total) and it's unusable. At that point I exit the application and then reload and it's fast. This is the only workaround I've found.

Just because .NET manages the memory doesn't mean there can't be leaks. People think there are no leaks in Java but it's not true either. If object references are kept around then the memory cannot be freed.

Comment

There will be improvements to performance in NT7.

Comment

Now I see it from Market Analyzer side: it sucks up 1Gb of RAM, then I close MA, and after it takes forever for NT to manage this action, memory is not released. Awaiting NT7

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post tkaboris  
                  Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                  16 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Leafcutter