Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to TWS and External Feed problem

Dear Sirs,

I need to connect to an External Data Feed to receive data and also to Interactive Brokers (TWS) to execute the trades.

I've been searching through the forum and I've find some examples for NT8 and NT7, but NT7 ones doesn't seem to work for me since when I try to follow the steps, for instance shown in this thread:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...ta-feed-in-nt7

I get this error when trying to connect to the TWS once I've already connected to the external data feed:
    "Login failed. You can't connect while having an open 'External Data Feed', 'Market Replay Connection' or 'Simulated Data Feed' connection."

I guess maybe I am missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by manugarc; 08-06-2019, 05:49 AM.

NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers can be connected using this connection guide:

The External data feed's purpose is not to establish a connection with Interactive Brokers. You can read more on its purpose here:

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your rapid response.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers can be connected using this connection guide:

Yes, that works in order to connect to the TWS, no problems regarding to it.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      The External data feed's purpose is not to establish a connection with Interactive Brokers. You can read more on its purpose here:

I am not trying to use External Data Feed to connect to Interactive Brokers. I need the External Data Feed to connect to a data feed other than Interactive Brokers while executing trades on Interactive Brokers, e.g., TS. That's why I need to connect to both of them.

I've read in some threads about connecting to one of them and later on to the other one, but no matter the order I do it, I always get an error message while trying to connect to the second one. Isn't it possible?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. It's not possible to connect to any other feed when using the External Data Feed.

Please clarify - you're trying to use TradeStation as a source of data while trading to Interactive Brokers? Or are you trying to route trading signals from TradeStation to your Interactive Brokers account via NinjaTrader?

If the former, this would not be possible due to the limitation mentioned above. Also, even if this did work, it's worth considering that the TradeStation data feed has severe limitations:
        • The interface is designed to support real-time market data for a maximum of only a few symbols simultaneously for the purpose of trade simulation in NinjaTrader, any more and you may experience performance limitations
        • The interface is NOT designed to dynamically populate NinjaTrader charts with historical data from TradeStation
        • https://ninjatrader.com/ConnectionGu...nnection-Guide
        I would suggest that you view the table in "Understanding the data provided by your connectivity provider" section of the link below to learn more about our supported data providers which you could use the supplement your Interactive Brokers connection:
        If the latter, then this would require a configuration of 'email integration' with TradeStation. More on that topic can be found here:

Comment

Thank you Patrick.

The idea was the first one: using TS exclusively as data feeder. Perfectly answered. I do appreciate how you elaborated it.

Next (and last) obligatory doubt: Would it be possible with NT8 doing it this way?:

https://ninjatrader.com/support/foru...station-to-nt8

And after that connecting NT8 to the TWS? Or will I get the same error if trying to do it using NT8?

Comment

In NinjaTrader 8, TradeStation is not supported as a data provider at all due to the limitations discussed in my prior post. The same errors would occur in NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

Understood. Thanks Patrick!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by CommonWhale, Today, 09:55 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
              Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
              2 responses