X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on LIFO vs FIFO trading

Hi NT Support,

An example:

I buy a contract, and the price goes down by 10 points, then I buy another contract. The price goes up by 5 points and hits my target for the secons contract. However, My realized PnL now shows negative 5 points, as NT sold in a FIFO manner reflecting it as if I sold the first contract at a 5 point loss. However, my goal is for the PnL to reflect a 5 point gain and show that I sold the second contract, and the the entry price to remain at the entry for the first contract.

How can I change the settings to reflect this, thank you.

Hi Austiner87, thanks for your note.

If the account never goes flat in between the orders being placed then NT will calculate the PnL based from the first position taken, so if the position loses 4 points then reverses that loss will still be reflected when the position goes back up. If the position goes from long to flat to long again the unrealized PnL would be reset when the account goes flat
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I find this to be a problem with NT as well. Is it possible to make NT calculate Pnl based on the contract that was closed through config or code? I'm on NT8.
      Last edited by martyn73; 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Hi martyn73, thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the form control that displays PnL in the Control Center.
        Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

FYI we have a breakeven price indicator that shows the breakeven price of a position. In the example below it is shown in purple in (c). It takes the profit of the partial close into account to show the breakeven price, where the position earns zero profit. This is useful for traders who scale in and out of positions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenEntry.png Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	1150996

Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenBeforePartial.png Views:	0 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	1150997

Click image for larger version  Name:	BreakevenAfterPartial.png Views:	0 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	1150998

(a) Position opens at $13,111.50 with 2 contracts. (b) Order to partial close 1 contract at $13,121.00. (c) Breakeven price after partial close is $13,102.50.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post tsantospinto  
          Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB