Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

historical data 60 mins chart showing gaps and flat lines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

historical data 60 mins chart showing gaps and flat lines.

Hello, I'm unfortunately probably moving on soon. Recently the forex data for NT 7 has stopped working unless using NT 8. Recently NT 8 was also freezing in the middle of the day. Furthermore, also, there is a learning curve for learning the new ninja trader 8 because its somewhat different than NT 7.The most dissapointing part which hopefully will be fixed is that historical data for YM using the latest contract or any contract for that matter shows much less historical data and only for a couple years.

Hello krimkrim,

Thanks for your post.

Due to a change in the API to connect to most forex connection, these would only be available with NinjaTrader 8, which was released in 2016 and is now our main developmental release. NinjaTrader 7 continues to be supported indefinitely on a maintenance basis, however, major changes will likely be focused on being implemented into NinjaTrader 8 at this time.

The amount of data displayed in the platform would not be any different between NinjaTrader7 or NinjaTrader 8, this would be a function of the data feed you are using and the amount of data provided by the connection. NinjaTrader acts like a radio receiver in this aspect, with your connection transmitting the data to the platform, and the platform displaying this data according to the customizable characteristics defined in the various windows properties.

There is an ample amount of support and training available for the NinjaTrader 8 platform. Below, you will find links to publicly available resources to help you become more adept with the NinjaTrader 8 platform:

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for the freezing issue you are seeing with NinjaTrader 8. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help better configure your platform for performance and functionality.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "2447935 ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
    Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
    Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.

Marco G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, thanks for your response.
      The freezing has happened anymore lately. If you still want to see the log I can do it sometime, otherwise this is resolved.
      Also, I'm not saying that ninja trader 7 or 8 is responsible for the lack of historical data, but I am saying that through ninja trader and on either platform, I'm not being displayed the entire picture of data. There are a lot of gaps. I've attached a screen of this happening. For example on the Dow chart.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you find the same occurring in NinjaTrader 8?

Comment

Hello, yes, the pictures that I posted, were both ninja trader 7 and ninjatrader 8. The picture on the left is ninjatrader 7, and the picture on the right is ninjatrader 8. The graphs look slightly different in both platforms so by looking close you can tell which one is which just by visual, especially from the top left corner of the pics. So both NT7 and NT8 are effected. Also, I'm not ecstatic about the coding breaking by my strategies/indicators. If we just focus on the programming part, there is a learning curve for rebuilding the code. It doesn't just instantly compile when I copy my code over by hand. I still have to RTFM and understand the progamming differences. Now, for a professional that would seem 'part of the business' but when NT is asking all customers to just get with the program (no pun intended) it is tedious, especially when i'm forced to change in order to use any charts on forex because I can no longer get forex data on NT7, if I knew how, I would immediately go back to NT7. So for new customers, the learning curve wouldn't be bad because everything could be created new. So if focusing on new customers, then the change would be okay. Just my feedback, and I don't have any more technical questions, thank you.

EDIT: Also wanted to add, I've been using NT8 now for over 3 months and I really like it. I've been able to manage to do everything I needed to do with NT 8 now plus more. I like it just the same or better. Also, really like that when I'm looking at a 60 minute charts and scroll through the chart I can have a 1 minute chart beside it and it mirrors and follows where I'm looking on both charts with the cursor. Nice program, I really like NT 8. I'm sticking with it because of the customer service and all the working new features. Thanks so much.
          Last edited by krimkrim; 06-17-2020, 01:06 PM. Reason: Chiming in about NT 8---Superb working new updated program.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the post.

I am not seeing the same data while connected to Kinetick or NinjaTrader Continuum, so we would not expect to see such patchy data.

Who are you connected to for futures data?

As a test, please also delete your historical data using the instructions provided at the following page of the NinjaTrader Help Guide:

Removing Historical Data
            • Once the data has been deleted close NinjaTrader. Open the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder. Select all files then right mouse click and select “delete.”
            • Open NinjaTrader and connect to your data provider. Open a new chart.

Please let me know if this resolves this item.
            Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm using CQG futures. forex data is fine on ninja trader8, CQG data is the same for me on both NT7 and NT8 with gaps. Just started happening within a 2-3 weeks recently. I deleted all historical data and still same results. I am using a trial CQG is that because of trial?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I'd like to take a look at your log and trace files for this issue. These files contain diagnostic information related to what is occurring on your platform that will help us resolve this issue in a timely manner.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com with "2447935 ATTN Marco G" in the subject line and a link to this forum post in the message body so I may investigate this matter further.

Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
                Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                Once you have emailed these to us, you may delete these compressed folders.

Thanks in advance; I look forward to resolving this item for you.

Comment

Okay, I have sent the email, Sunday 1145pm eastern. Thanks for taking a look.

Comment

In your screenshots, you're viewing YM 03-20 data in September 2019 (I assume). This contract was active at that time but was not heavily traded, so a 'thin' chart makes sense. I suspect your merge policy is 'do not merge' which would result in viewing data for the literal contract selected. Follow these steps:
                    • Control Center > Tools > Options
                    • Market data > Change 'merge policy' to 'Merge back adjusted'
                    • Right-click on your charts and select 'reload all historical data
                    Please let me know if gaps persist.

Comment

Wow!! Thanks so much, that fixed it, I'm not able to see data behind the current contract. You fixed it, really saved me a ton of time!! Thank you. ..I noticed the global merge policy was 'do not merge' changed now to 'merge back adjusted' problem fixed! Also, would like to note, I don't remember changing the setting from original. Thanks so much, case closed.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Gerik
                      by Gerik

Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                      2 responses
                      0 likes