Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot the Dif of 2 EMAs

Hello,
    Would you point me in the right direction in order to plot the difference of 2 EMAs on the actual price chart, not in an indicator panel.

Thank you

Originally posted by hhphoto2006 View Post
    Hello,
    Would you point me in the right direction in order to plot the difference of 2 EMAs on the actual price chart, not in an indicator panel.

Thank you
    Is that not what the MACD is? Just plot the MACD on the price chart instead. Specify the price panel in the PropertyGrid.

Comment

Hello hhphoto2006,

Thank you for your post. The Indicator's can be moved to the price data panel by selecting Panel 1 in the right click > Indicator settings.

See the below section of our help guide for more on working with indicators.
      https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...indicators.htm

Let us know if we may assist further.
      Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for response. I tried that before and that does not work, that just places the MACD indicator in the same panel as price. What I am trying to do is to use the slow line of the two EMAs as a sort of moving average on price that works as support and resistance. I saw Steve Rothes from TFNN use it in such way.
        Thanks

Comment

I am not quite sure I fully understand what you're looking for. Could you provide a video or a link from the source you're referring to?

I've created a chart with a MACD (12, 26) and also two EMAs (12 and 26). I've used the ruler drawing tool to measure the difference between the two EMAs:

You want to see the difference between the two EMA prints? Would this be in price? Or what would be the unit of difference that you're looking for? Please elaborate.

Comment

I am sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough. The way I understand Steve's setup is uses a MACD with the following settings 19-39-9 and is plot in the bottom pane, he uses only one line, I believe is the slower one (see screenshot). In addition to that he was able to plot this same line over price (like a MA) that serves as Support/Resistance.
            Thank you
            Attached Files

Comment

The indicator in the bottom panel of the screenshot you provided is not the MACD, it is the Price Oscillator.

You can see what indicators are applied (and what settings are used in the indicators) by looking at the top left of the chart panel.

Unfortunately I can't see the labels for the moving average indicator in the top panel, however, if its meant to indicate the same line as one of the moving averages from the Price Oscillator, then it is either set to 19 or 39.

Here is a screenshot example showing the difference between the MACD and Price Oscillator with two EMAs applied that match the fast and slow lines:

The built-in moving average indicators don't have a 'smooth' property, so getting a perfectly identical line may be difficult.

If you contact the source of the screenshot you provided, they can likely tell you their exact indicators and settings in use.

Comment

Thanks Patrick
                He actually said he created it using the MACD with the settings I gave you. I replicated the bottom part of the indicator on my platform using a MACD with his settings. It looked identical. I just cant figure out how to plot it on price the way he has it. All he said about that is that I would probably need to do it writing code.

Is the price Oscillator part of the NT basic Indicators? Do i need to hire someone that knows programing to accomplish this?

Thanks

Comment

I've edited the screenshot you provided to hopefully make it more clear what I was describing:

I am confused by your colleagues response. Can he not send you a screenshot of either the chart window which displays the labels of all indicators involved, or a screenshot of the indicators he has applied from within the indicators menu?

Yes, the Price Oscillator is built into NinjaTrader.

Comment

Thanks Patrick
                    I understand what you said in the first place. He calls it a price oscillator but He did not use the price oscillator indicator to create the line on price according to what he said. Basically he was given the ingredients but not the recipe on the webinar. Please take a look

I understand it is his "secret sauce" but he did not say we couldn't replica it.

Thanks

Comment

The screenshot you provided indicates that the Price Oscillator indicator is in use. It also looks identical to how the Price Oscillator would plot. The only way to get the 'Price Oscillator' to print in the top left of the chart panel but have it not in reality be the Price Oscillator would be to purposefully change the indicator's label property.

We can get close with the built in settings I've suggested, but if you want an exact copy you'll either need to obtain their add-ons, program an add-on yourself, or have someone program the add-on for you.

Here are two options I came up with:

Option 1 - Price Oscillator (19,39,9) with EMA (19):

Options 2 Price Oscillator (19.39,9) x2 with one of them overlayed onto the data:

Comment

Thanks Patrick
                        He actually said he created it using the MACD with the settings I gave you. I replicated the bottom part of the indicator on my platform using a MACD with his settings. It looked identical. I just cant figure out how to plot it on price the way he has it. All he said about that is that I would probably need to do it writing code.

Is the price Oscillator part of the NT basic Indicators? Do i need to hire someone that knows programing to accomplish this?

Thanks
                        here you go, Ninja MACD use SMA for calculation so it wont work. Ninja doesn't allow to plot both panel in the same indicator so there are 2, 1 for indi panel and 1 for price panel
                        Attached Files

Comment

The screenshot indicates that an indicator named 'MACDEMA' is applied to panel 1. I could not locate a similar indicator on our forums.

Your options at this point are:
                          • Contact the source of the screenshot and ask how to obtain 'MACDEMA'
                          • Program the MACDEMA indicator yourself
                          • Have a third-party developer build the MACDEMA for you

We can provide assistance with options 2 and 3. If that is how you'd like to proceed, contact us via email at PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]com. Make sure to include a link to this forum thread when you write in, along with a brief summary of what we may assist with.

Comment

Nkhoi,
                            Thank you so much for your help and the EMAs, they do match perfectly.
                            Kind regards.
                            Hector

Comment

Nkhoi,
                              Thank you so much for your help and the EMAs, they do match perfectly.
                              Kind regards.
                              Hector
                              I color the zone, check it out, personally I don't think it can be used as support/resistance line but maybe it works for you.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              10 responses