Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Series Bar Width Default Setting Issue

Hello,

Today I ran across an unusual issue. The issue is that the data series bar width (under Chart Style) can be specified, and even set as a default value, however, when an indicator running on that data series has a parameter changed, the data series bar width resets back to the value of 2.

More specifically, I set my bar width to 3, and set it as a default value. I have an SMA indicator running on the data series with a period 1. If I change the indicator plot width (under Plots SMA) to any value and 'Apply', the plot width changes as required but the data series bar width reverts to a bar thickness of 2 rather than the value specified as default.

Can you please advise how I can retain the default data series bar thickness and still be able to change the settings for any indicator running on the data series? Thank you.

Hello Zeos6,

I would like to take a closer look at this report and see if I can recreate it on my end.

Could you please send me the trace & log files as well as your workspace & template files?

To do this, please click on "Help" and "Email Support", then ensure all options are enabled under "Other files".

Last but not least, please leave a short "ATTN Manfred" note in your email to have the email sent to me directly.

I can then look through these files tomorrow morning and see if I can recreate the issue, both, with your workspace/settings as well as with a blank version.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to your email!
    Manfred F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Manfred,

This should be reproducible in NT7 as is. There really is no need for Trace files, workspaces, templates, etc. This is an issue with the app, not a template/workspace issue. Furthermore, I checked the Trace and Log files, and there are no issues there.Please check it at your end with any dataseries and a simple 1 period SMA. Thank you.

Comment

Hello Zeos6,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was not able to reproduce this issue with a clean installation of NinjaTrader 7.

Please take a look at the below video and let me know if you have used different settings.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Hi Manfred,

I owe you an apology. You are correct. I have located the issue. It was one of my indicators; I used

ChartControl.BarWidth = 2;

This however leads me to the question: Is there a way to get the default value of the bar width set in the ChartStyles of the DataSeries properties window?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hello Zeos6,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm glad to hear you already found the culprit that caused this issue.

While it is not possible to set the default in NinjaTrader 7, this was one of the most requested features we implemented into our NinjaTrader 8 platform.

In this platform, you're able to save and restore templates for every chart type (e.g. Minute, Day, UniRenko,...) or indicator individually, as well as for the whole chart combined:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nt8 preset.png
Views:	307
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1098310

Unfortunately, implementing this into NinjaTrader 7 would require a significant change to the platform, which is likely not something we can accomplish, as this would take time away from improving NinjaTrader 8 even further.

I hope for your understanding in this regard, please let me know if I can assist you further!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Manfred,

Thank you for your reply. I actually do use NT8 extensively. I also use NT7 as I still have some indicators that I have not ported yet.

I am puzzled though by your statement that you cannot set the bar width as default in NT7. If I go to the data series property window in NT7, change the bar width and then right click, it ask whether I want to save the value as default. Does this not set the bar width value as a default value?

Comment

Hello Zeos6,

My apologies for the misunderstanding, I thought you were referring to templates in general.

Let me correct this by saying you may set it as a default in exactly the way you've described. However, it would only be able to retain this one default setting, as opposed to different templates.

Does this not work in this case? If you could detail the steps you've taken I could attempt to recreate it on my end.

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Gerik, Today, 09:40 AM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Gerik
                by Gerik

Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM