Chart/ # of bars - discrepancy between yesterday and today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart/ # of bars - discrepancy between yesterday and today

I was going over yesterday's chart and noticed that it looked really different at the time compared to when I reloaded it today, and not just because the bars calculated differently. Today's load has way fewer bars than it did yesterday, even though they're both set to ES 09-20 2000 tick, and as a result the trendlines don't fit the same, nor do a lot of the entries even show up since it's almost like today's is set to 5000 tick or something like that. I've attached a pic of them both side by side so you can see what I mean. Any ideas why it would do this?

The plot thickens.. when I turn on show entries, they don't even match up to price levels showing on the chart currently. I have also noticed a lot of failed entries today. Could be coincidence, but something has seemed off. Thank god I'm only on sim

Comment

It looks like you may have been or currently are missing historical data. There is also the possibility that your clock is out of sync which would contribute to this symptom.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
      • What version of NinjaTrader 7 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.??)
      • Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.
      • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

Comment

One last thing I forgot to mention: Ever since loading the ES 09-20 contract last Friday, every time I disconnect and reconnect to data I have to close and reopen all my charts. Normally when I disconnect at night and reconnect in the morning, the data starts right back up on the charts I already have loaded and set up. But every day since loading the 09-20 contract, it connects to data, but the charts don't have any new data on them until I close and reopen them. Not sure if it's related, but that's another thing that's been acting funky lately

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          It looks like you may have been or currently are missing historical data. There is also the possibility that your clock is out of sync which would contribute to this symptom.

So I may accurately assist you, please answer all of the following questions:
          • What version of NinjaTrader 7 are you using? Please provide the entire version number. This can be found under Help -> About (Example: 7.0.1000.??)
          • Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.
          • Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
          .NET/CLR Version: 2.0.50727.9151

I'm connected to NinjaTrader Continuum (same as always)

I haven't gotten any errors recently

Comment

You've provided me with the .NET version. Your version of NinjaTrader 7 will be the number across the top of the About window that looks identical in format to the example I've provided other than the question marks being numbers in your version:
            (Example: 7.0.1000.??)
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 06-16-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

You've provided me with the .NET version. Your version of NinjaTrader 7 will be the number across the top of the About window that looks indentical in format to the example of provided other than the question marks being numbers in your version:

Comment

Thanks for confirming your version.

Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock:
                • Shutdown NinjaTrader
                • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
                • Select Adjust date/time
                • For Windows 10 click 'Additional date, time, & regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
                • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
                • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
                • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
                • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)
                After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.

Please let me know if the symptom persists after a PC clock sync and reload of historical data.

Comment

Thanks for confirming your version.

Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock:
                  • Shutdown NinjaTrader
                  • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
                  • Select Adjust date/time
                  • For Windows 10 click 'Additional date, time, & regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
                  • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
                  • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
                  • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
                  • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)
                  After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.

Please let me know if the symptom persists after a PC clock sync and reload of historical data.

So my clock was already set to time.nist.gov, but I double checked that before reloading historical data. After doing so, yesterday's chart looks exactly the same, but now today's chart is wayyyy off. I've attached a pic of the problem (trendlines were all messed up after reloading so I cleared them, but you can see there are less than half as many bars as before)

Comment

Do you remain connected overnight? If not, about what time in the morning do you connect to data?

Do you see the same issue if you view a time-based chart, like 5 minute?

Comment

Do you remain connected overnight? If not, about what time in the morning do you connect to data?

Do you see the same issue if you view a time-based chart, like 5 minute?
                      I'm in the habit of disconnecting every afternoon around 3pm eastern and reconnecting around 7am eastern

Not sure about a time-based chart as I don't use those and so I wouldn't have any basis for comparison to tell if it looked off

Comment

Guys I really need to get this figured out ASAP. I paid over $1000 for a lifetime license and rely on using NinjaTrader every day.. Please advise!

Comment

I'd recommend,

1. Make a database backup using NinjaTrader via CC->File->Utilities->Backup
                          2. Close all workspaces then switch to a single empty workspace
                          3. Exit NinjaTrader
                          4. Delete the db/cache folder

Your next actions depend upon how important your saved historical data is.

If you're not using multiple years of historical data, and you don't mind re-down
                          loading the minimum amount of historical data as needed, you can delete all
                          the folders and re-download a few weeks (or more) of historical data:

1. Delete the folders db/tick, db/minute, and db/day. These folders (along with
                          the db/cache folder) will automatically be recreated the next time you start
                          NinjaTrader.
                          2. Start NinjaTrader, make sure you use 64-bit version.
                          3. Connect to your data provider.
                          4. Goto 'Historical Data Manager' via CC->Tools, select 'Download' tab
                          5. Download historical data for all your instruments
                          6. Click 'Default' to select all instruments in list
                          7. Click checkboxes for Tick/Minute/Day and Last (you probably
                          don't need historical bid/ask data)
                          8. Click Download button
                          9. Downloading will take awhile, esp depending upon how many days
                          back you specified via the 'Start date' setting. You're using the 64-bit
                          version because the 32-bit version gets easily overwhelmed and hangs
                          when downloading a lot of data (32-bit executable hits 4GB memory
                          limit and will hang)

After downloading all new historical data, open your workspace, check
                          your charts, if they're still different, then the cause is not a historical
                          data problem.

Good luck!

PS: If your saved historical data is precious, then for #1 above you'll need
                          to go into each folder and delete only those files that represent the last
                          few days worth of data. It really depends upon how much data you use
                          in your charts -- most people only need 3 to 10 days for manual trading
                          on tick-based charts -- ymmv, depends on your indicator requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                            I'd recommend,

3. Exit NinjaTrader

If you're not using multiple years of historical data, and you don't mind re-down

NinjaTrader.
                            8. Click Download button
                            limit and will hang)

data problem.

Good luck!

When I try to open the 64-bit version I get the attached error message. That's why I've been using the 32-bit version

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post
                              I'd recommend,

3. Exit NinjaTrader

NinjaTrader.
                              8. Click Download button
                              limit and will hang)

data problem.

Good luck!

When I go to download historical data, there is no option for ES 09-20. Please see attached pic

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post helpwanted  
                              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Brevo