Possible Idea To Save CPU....??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Idea To Save CPU....??

Ran across this idea ....what about having a user defined setting to set the number of bars to be built before the whole chart refreshes to the left ??....as things are now the whole chart moves upon completion of each separate bar, so on various seconds and tick charts you are moving the whole chart quite often...does this method of refresh burn up much CPU ??....if so, maybe the idea of a chart refreshing less often to the left per a user defined setting would be something to look into....

Thanks....

Hello,

You can limit the number of bars that backfill your new chart in the Format Data Series by reducing the Bars back or Days back field.

However the chart does not "move" when a new bar is added to the chart, the new bar is just added to the right and the section you view shifts to the right on bar.

To save on CPU resources please visit this link:
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ben....I am familiar with the settings you mention....but as it is now...say on a 1 second chart when you have it set to 1 day(s) back to limit the number of bars that shift left when a new bar is built....when one zooms in on the last few bars of say a 1 second chart one can see the chart shift to the left as a new bar is formed.....this still must be burning up CPU on short term time frame charts, like a 1 second chart....I know that when I have the windows Task Manager set to update to "High" (it then updates at 1 second or so) that the CPU is significantly more than when you set it to "Normal". The same thing perhaps is happening with the CPU load of rapidly updating charts...that is why I thought the suggestion of only shifting the chart less often per a user defined setting could save on CPU usage. As things are now for me, with just 2 workspaces open in Ninja (6 charts in each set to 1 day back...seconds and tick charts, & 1 data stream ...the ES) with no technical studies at all....just bare charts...my CPU is running often close to 100% during busy times. This is with a 3065 Mhz processor and 1536 MB memory....and nothing else running on the computer....And I whittled down everything in the link you mentioned.

That is why I thought looking at ways to save CPU may be benificial....

I realize you are going to offer dual core and 64 bit capability soon...but if this suggestion saves perhaps significant CPU in any case why not look into it ??

Thanks....
      Last edited by Alfred; 10-15-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I understand what you are saying. The chart does not shift left so that all the bars move. A new bar is formed on the right and one bar is hidden from view when the chart window shifts right. The process does take some CPU resources which is discussed in the performance link I posted below, however the entire chart is not shifted and all bar redrawn.

You can reduce the nubmer of bars that are displayed in the chart window by right clicking below the horizontal axis and dragging left.

Also you can right click the chart>properties and increase the Display update interval (sec) setting to decrease the updates.

Comment

Thanks Ben....

As a new bar is completed all of the bars on a chart do move to the left....

I had already reduced the days back to 1 on all charts and the update interval to 1 second on most charts (0.5 seconds on 4 tick charts)....and CPU is still quite high.

Thanks....

Comment

Hello,

My only suggestion then would be to try some of the suggestions in the performance link that I posted below or rename your database:

1.Shut Down NinjaTrader
            2.Go to \Documents\NinjaTrader6.5\db
            3.Rename the file NinjaTrader.mbd to OldNinjaTrader.mbd

Note: you will lose a lot of or your data if you rename your database. However you can undo the process by deleting the new database that is created and reverting the old database name.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by nandhumca, Yesterday, 03:41 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
            Started by The_Sec, Yesterday, 03:37 PM
            1 response
            0 likes