Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

VPS functionality and license question NT7 - Need for speed (and reliability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPS functionality and license question NT7 - Need for speed (and reliability)

Hello,

I am looking into leasing a VPS for the purpose of increased speed of order execution using my ATM and in order to not worry about my laptop updating overnight while I have a trade on. *That or crashing, loss of internet/power etc. I want something that will be always on and reliable. I will also be trading over a cellular network connection by hotspot which I would assume would create a ton of lag time from entry to exits if the ATM TP/SL is being ran locally on my laptop. My question is this: Am I able to run NT either locally or on the VPS without another license or paying for an additional data feed? I am wanting the orders I enter on my computer locally to be placed in the VPS and be sitting there on a much faster and reliable connection. For the type of trading I do I usually have at least 15 seconds to sometimes a few minutes before an entry is executed. I already have my target in mind to the tick but I want to be able to move a stop locally and have it move on the VPS. Does it work this way or is it more like using team view to login to the VPS and it's all done there? I have also had a tremendous amount of freezing in NT and during one episode I wasn't able to get it to load after 15 attempts with a live order in place. This happened to be 2 ES contracts with no stop. After an hour of reboots, reload attempts, calling the trade desk, I was able to cancel it via the Rithmic dashboard after stumbling upon it.

I have read several of the VPS threads but I don't see this covered. I have reached out to Speedy to inquire about their service but I want to make sure what I am trying to do doesn't require an additional license purchase or more data costs. Are you able to trade on either as long as they aren't running at the same time? I am currently on a lease by the quarter which was just processed a couple of days ago. I have been running in demo for several years but haven't attempted this.

Any insight you may provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Firewalker688,

There can only be one instance of NinjaTrader running at a time with the same license key.

Information on where your orders reside can be found at the link below.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...rs_reside_.htm
    Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChristopherS View Post
      Hello Firewalker688,

There can only be one instance of NinjaTrader running at a time with the same license key.

Information on where your orders reside can be found at the link below.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...rs_reside_.htm
      Thank you for the reply. With that being said, how are most people using this function? Adding license information to the VPS and using team viewer or the like to control it remotely?

Comment

We have no data on how users are utilizing a virtual private server/machine.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
          We have no data on how users are utilizing a virtual private server/machine.
          That's funny, because apparently the recommended vendor "Speedy" doesn't seem to know either. It would seem like a phone call to explain how their product works to someone at NT would be a plus. How on earth would you be able to troubleshoot issues with the platform if someone was running it on a VPS? Would it be a game of pass the buck from one vendor to the next? I can't tell you how many times I have been reading the threads here and see non IT end users trying to figure out glitches and bugs in this software that more than likely they paid money to use. Don't sweat it, I will figure it out.

Comment

I am not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. Yes, you can install and run NinjaTrader on a virtual machine if you're wanting to avoid connectivity issues that would be introduced by an unreliable local network connection. What 'glitches' or 'bugs' are you referring to?

I have also had a tremendous amount of freezing in NT and during one episode I wasn't able to get it to load after 15 attempts with a live order in place. This happened to be 2 ES contracts with no stop. After an hour of reboots, reload attempts, calling the trade desk, I was able to cancel it via the Rithmic dashboard after stumbling upon it.
            This sounds like symptoms of a poor-quality connection. If you're still experiencing this symptom, Please send me your database, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Database file'.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2731106 ATTN Patrick G

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
              I am not sure I understand what you're asking exactly. Yes, you can install and run NinjaTrader on a virtual machine if you're wanting to avoid connectivity issues that would be introduced by an unreliable local network connection. What 'glitches' or 'bugs' are you referring to?

Yes, that is what I am looking to do and I am not trying to get two licenses or be sneaky about any of it. I didn't know if it acted as a mirror to what was happening locally and therefore using the same license or if it would need to be remotely accessed in order to have the trades reside there.

This sounds like symptoms of a poor-quality connection. If you're still experiencing this symptom, Please send me your database, log, and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support

Expand 'Other files' and enable 'Database file'.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 2731106 ATTN Patrick G
              Patrick, Thanks for the reply.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Cleared cache, cleared db. It was doing this without regard to attempting to connect to NT cont. or rithmic. That issue is resolved but I have sent an email and log to that email regarding market replay freezing.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by guillembm, Yesterday, 11:25 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post guillembm  
              Started by junkone, 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
              9 responses
              0 likes