Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about reliable VPS

Hello to everyone,

There's an unreliable internet connection and it's pretty slow ... Do you have any suggestions for a good quality VPS?

I would be glad if you help. 192.168.l.l 10.0.0.1 192.168.0.1
    Last edited by undynabl; 11-03-2021, 06:29 PM.

Speedy seems pretty good. https://www.speedytradingservers.com/

Chart VPS may offer bigger, faster servers for the money but I don't know if they are a good vendor.

Both advertise in the banners ads here.

HedgePlay

Comment

i saved about 3KUSD per month on servers by using these guys - ST Louis

VPS - XLS i use for smaller loads

For very larger loads - VDS are incredible

but im not super low latency and nor is the datafeed or platform...expectation its plenty fast enough, so i notice no difference - except in the bank each month.
      if i want to spend cash and go better proximity wise i would consider steadfast.net alot of the so called trading server companies are selling old junk servers for big prices due to proximity to popular datacenters -

For NT8
      SSDs or much better NVME SSDS
      modern architecture and RAM

I am using VDS 8 CPU here - and pushed the boundaries far beyond 99.9% of the normal users of NT8.

Here im running an exhaustive realtime indices AlphaBias vertical/horizontal correlation trend analysis on over 60 timeframes on 15 markets - so that's about 1000 indicator instances....
      +plus running over 60 algos in realtime
      +plus live trading on this server -

No lag, no render delay

i do use proprietary data syncing and loading routines and automated frameworks to control the server and NT8 instance as well as optimised components and algos. but what i am achieving is far beyond the boundaries of the norm...

i ran a subset of the same setup on VPS and it worked just fine.... say a 20% load of the same thing.

i have others 8 core VDS servers where I'm running over 600 algos in parallel and then recording the stats to MSSQL/ASP.NEt in real-time - no lag no issues... i use 2 disks with data NT8 on drive D - documents location mapped to D:\users\trader\documents etc

I have such a large dataset 65 futures instruments with year, month, week, day,.minute and so on with 20 years look back to 30days on smaller renko/range types - which did take hours to load using the default method and data option- "get data from Server". i turn that off and and use programmed NT8 Addons to perform sequential data downloading and workspace starting routines and coding techniques its only 15 minutes to do what was thought to be impossible.... as NT8 was designed with retail traders in mind - not portfolio trading....but is so flexible this can be achieved with the relevant technical skills.

So to even realize this can be done with NT8 and a VDS is off the wall... what i am doing with NT8 with true hedge fund futures portfolio true fault tolerant swing trading is unheard of and for a price that would costs $1000s per month for the software and $1000s for the server.

Point being i don't need to spend out $1000s to do make it possible... and VDS is incredible value but VPS is still an option and don't get fooled by these server companies selling old antique servers at rip off prices... due to location... you are not a HFT DMA trading desk and never will be - so save your money where you can - the main benefit of VDS, VPS is reliability not latency as the primary.

So for normal trading usage a 4 Core VDS should be ample and or a VPS XLS

AMD VDS is very amazing and contabo is incredible value you wont beat it if you do let me know ;-)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2020_11_19T15_37_00_627Z.png Views:	0 Size:	330.1 KB ID:	1128359
      Last edited by MicroTrends; 11-20-2020, 12:53 AM.
      MicroTrends
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - micro-trends.co.uk

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in NinjaTrader.

There are a handful of third-party VPS providers that would allow you to run NinjaTrader on a remote server. Here is a link to the NinjaTrader Ecosystem website with search results for third-party VPS providers. You can find more information about these companies by visiting their websites and contacting them directly:
        The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The companies and services listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
        Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by MicroTrends View Post
          i saved about 3KUSD per month on servers by using these guys - ST Louis

VPS - XLS i use for smaller loads

For very larger loads - VDS are incredible

but im not super low latency and nor is the datafeed or platform...expectation its plenty fast enough, so i notice no difference - except in the bank each month.
          if i want to spend cash and go better proximity wise i would consider steadfast.net alot of the so called trading server companies are selling old junk servers for big prices due to proximity to popular datacenters -

For NT8
          SSDs or much better NVME SSDS
          modern architecture and RAM

I am using VDS 8 CPU here - and pushed the boundaries far beyond 99.9% of the normal users of NT8.

Here im running an exhaustive realtime indices AlphaBias vertical/horizontal correlation trend analysis on over 60 timeframes on 15 markets - so that's about 1000 indicator instances....
          +plus running over 60 algos in realtime
          +plus live trading on this server -

No lag, no render delay

i do use proprietary data syncing and loading routines and automated frameworks to control the server and NT8 instance as well as optimised components and algos. but what i am achieving is far beyond the boundaries of the norm...

i ran a subset of the same setup on VPS and it worked just fine.... say a 20% load of the same thing.

i have others 8 core VDS servers where I'm running over 600 algos in parallel and then recording the stats to MSSQL/ASP.NEt in real-time - no lag no issues... i use 2 disks with data NT8 on drive D - documents location mapped to D:\users\trader\documents etc

I have such a large dataset 65 futures instruments with year, month, week, day,.minute and so on with 20 years look back to 30days on smaller renko/range types - which did take hours to load using the default method and data option- "get data from Server". i turn that off and and use programmed NT8 Addons to perform sequential data downloading and workspace starting routines and coding techniques its only 15 minutes to do what was thought to be impossible.... as NT8 was designed with retail traders in mind - not portfolio trading....but is so flexible this can be achieved with the relevant technical skills.

So to even realize this can be done with NT8 and a VDS is off the wall... what i am doing with NT8 with true hedge fund futures portfolio true fault tolerant swing trading is unheard of and for a price that would costs $1000s per month for the software and $1000s for the server.

Point being i don't need to spend out $1000s to do make it possible... and VDS is incredible value but VPS is still an option and don't get fooled by these server companies selling old antique servers at rip off prices... due to location... you are not a HFT DMA trading desk and never will be - so save your money where you can - the main benefit of VDS, VPS is reliability not latency as the primary.

So for normal trading usage a 4 Core VDS should be ample and or a VPS XLS

AMD VDS is very amazing and contabo is incredible value you wont beat it if you do let me know ;-)
          Click image for larger version Name:	image_2020_11_19T15_37_00_627Z.png Views:	0 Size:	330.1 KB ID:	1128359

Hello @MicroTrends

Thank you for your detailed post about your experience with Contabo VPS and VDS solutions. This post is really helpful.

I just would like to ask you about what backups solutions you recommend when you need to migrate for example from a local installation (at home/office PC) to a VPS and vice versa, from a VPS to local installation or even to other VPS service when maybe you need to migrate for any reason.

I have a local Windows 10 workspace and when I migrate to a VPS I would like everything is kept exactly as actually is, with all the Windows 10 settings and the NT7/NT8 setups, everything as it is. As reference, my Windows 10 workspace takes in total around 2.5GB of RAM and 11%-20% from a 2-cores vCPU (It is running in a Virtual Machine)

Actually my budget only allows for rent a VPS (a VDS is not possible for the moment because its higher price and also not needed becase the low resources the whole workspace needs), and I can't find the way to backup and migrate everything from a local PC to the VPS because the VPS company is who installs the OS and as I see they don't allow you to do custom things about the OS in order to restore a possible backup for example. I know VPS companies offer backup solutions but I see it is for internal use in their side and what need is something more universal where you can migrate what you have in a VPS to a local installation or even to another VPS service in the future.

I would like to have a solution for this before to start with a VPS in order to avoid futures headaches with this kind of situations.

Thank you and have a good rest of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by futurenow View Post

Hello @MicroTrends

Thank you for your detailed post about your experience with Contabo VPS and VDS solutions. This post is really helpful.

I just would like to ask you about what backups solutions you recommend when you need to migrate for example from a local installation (at home/office PC) to a VPS and vice versa, from a VPS to local installation or even to other VPS service when maybe you need to migrate for any reason.

I have a local Windows 10 workspace and when I migrate to a VPS I would like everything is kept exactly as actually is, with all the Windows 10 settings and the NT7/NT8 setups, everything as it is. As reference, my Windows 10 workspace takes in total around 2.5GB of RAM and 11%-20% from a 2-cores vCPU (It is running in a Virtual Machine)

Actually my budget only allows for rent a VPS (a VDS is not possible for the moment because its higher price and also not needed becase the low resources the whole workspace needs), and I can't find the way to backup and migrate everything from a local PC to the VPS because the VPS company is who installs the OS and as I see they don't allow you to do custom things about the OS in order to restore a possible backup for example. I know VPS companies offer backup solutions but I see it is for internal use in their side and what need is something more universal where you can migrate what you have in a VPS to a local installation or even to another VPS service in the future.

I would like to have a solution for this before to start with a VPS in order to avoid futures headaches with this kind of situations.

I know I'm reviving an old post, but thought this answer would be helpful in case someone stumbles upon this post from search.

For internal backups, you can use the free community edition of Veeam.com to create an external backup of your VPS. This way, you won't have to pay extra for backup service from VPS companies, and will have full control of your backups.

Veeam backs up the entire VPS snapshot, so you can instantly restore on even a different VPS host.

For our own VPS customers, Veeam is fully supported and encouraged so all users have control over their backups and no vendor lock-in.
            Vendor_NT_Mobile
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

Hello @MicroTrends

Veam and other backup solutions are ok for server software and so on.. but dont work great for the simple trading platform lifecycle.
              E.G can be a sledge hammer to crush a nut.
              for safety hardware mirrored disks work better in most cases. or VMImages save a snapshot etc.
              This is all good for the whole server..

For just the NT Platform - dropbox is a great way to do it in most cases for the NT portion.
              no need for all that complexity of veam and other backup solutions.

For dropbox
              You want to deal in plain simple files and folders
              install it locally and simpy copy to and from.

we use batch files to move files and folders to dropbox and to systems installs
              you need to be careful of the data portion of the nt8 system
              Typically we would not include that part -
              If its really required then winrar is a good way to do it and then add it to dropbox
              Last edited by MicroTrends; 03-09-2023, 04:48 AM.
              MicroTrends

Comment

Originally posted by Vendor_NT_Mobile View Post

I know I'm reviving an old post, but thought this answer would be helpful in case someone stumbles upon this post from search.

For internal backups, you can use the free community edition of Veeam.com to create an external backup of your VPS. This way, you won't have to pay extra for backup service from VPS companies, and will have full control of your backups.

Veeam backs up the entire VPS snapshot, so you can instantly restore on even a different VPS host.

For our own VPS customers, Veeam is fully supported and encouraged so all users have control over their backups and no vendor lock-in.

Hello Vendor_NT_Mobile

Thank you for the idea, and I think there is no problem with "reviving an old post" if the information is perfectly applicable for an actual situation

I will keep your idea as reference

Comment

Originally posted by MicroTrends View Post

Veam and other backup solutions are ok for server software and so on.. but dont work great for the simple trading platform lifecycle.
                  E.G can be a sledge hammer to crush a nut.
                  for safety hardware mirrored disks work better in most cases. or VMImages save a snapshot etc.
                  This is all good for the whole server..

For just the NT Platform - dropbox is a great way to do it in most cases for the NT portion.
                  no need for all that complexity of veam and other backup solutions.

For dropbox
                  You want to deal in plain simple files and folders
                  install it locally and simpy copy to and from.

we use batch files to move files and folders to dropbox and to systems installs
                  you need to be careful of the data portion of the nt8 system
                  Typically we would not include that part -
                  If its really required then winrar is a good way to do it and then add it to dropbox

Hello @MicroTrends

I think I get the point you explain about that using Veam or other backup solutions would be like to use "a sledge hammer to crush a nut" because there would be simpler alternatives like to just make a cloud backup for NT folders/files. Thank you for the idea.

About a dropbox/cloud backup, I would like to ask if wouldn't be even simpler just to specify in the dropbox desktop program that just make the backup to the whole NT folder in "My Documents" where are the sub-folders about workspaces, templates, scripts files,...? and in that way there wouldn't be need to do the process you mention about to "use batch files to move files and folders to dropbox". Of course I imagine you have a very good reason about to not to directly backup the entire NT folder located in "My Documents" like for example because you need/want to only backup certain specific files/folders and not the whole content from the NT My Documents folder, so the question is more focused about the reason to do the files/folders backup process in the way of using a intermediate step using "batch files to move files and folders to dropbox".

Finally, I also want to ask about what would be the more time-efficient way to migrate NT from a PC to another (or from a PC to a VPS, or from a VPS to a PC), I mean not only copying folders and files to the new PC but also to restore NT in the other side with the exact current workspace setup, with the current charts, with the current applied indicators and strategies in the charts or Control Center, and also maybe with the current Strategy Analyzer tabs analysis, etc. and this in order to not have to apply and configure every single script from the scratch one-by-one.

Thank you for your time

Comment

To migrate NT from a PC to another (or from a PC to a VPS, or from a VPS to a PC), use the built in backup and restore feature in NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader 7: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...p__restore.htm
                    NinjaTrader 8: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...up_archive.htm
                    Vendor_NT_Mobile
                    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Ninja Mobile Trader VPS

Comment

Hello @MicroTrends

I think I get the point you explain about that using Veam or other backup solutions would be like to use "a sledge hammer to crush a nut" because there would be simpler alternatives like to just make a cloud backup for NT folders/files. Thank you for the idea.

About a dropbox/cloud backup, I would like to ask if wouldn't be even simpler just to specify in the dropbox desktop program that just make the backup to the whole NT folder in "My Documents" where are the sub-folders about workspaces, templates, scripts files,...? and in that way there wouldn't be need to do the process you mention about to "use batch files to move files and folders to dropbox". Of course I imagine you have a very good reason about to not to directly backup the entire NT folder located in "My Documents" like for example because you need/want to only backup certain specific files/folders and not the whole content from the NT My Documents folder, so the question is more focused about the reason to do the files/folders backup process in the way of using a intermediate step using "batch files to move files and folders to dropbox".

Finally, I also want to ask about what would be the more time-efficient way to migrate NT from a PC to another (or from a PC to a VPS, or from a VPS to a PC), I mean not only copying folders and files to the new PC but also to restore NT in the other side with the exact current workspace setup, with the current charts, with the current applied indicators and strategies in the charts or Control Center, and also maybe with the current Strategy Analyzer tabs analysis, etc. and this in order to not have to apply and configure every single script from the scratch one-by-one.

Thank you for your time

NT Backup Restore can be a candidate.
                      But sometimes can become corrupted too... and its not great you got no control over what its doing.
                      but try it...as an alternative but dont delete until its 100% proven to be correct and no corrupt.
                      this is ok for small stuff..

DropBox
                      "I would like to ask if wouldn't be even simpler just to specify in the dropbox desktop program that just make the backup to the whole NT folder in "My Documents""

Not the whole folder it would be a disaster due to tick data storage in the documents folder:"
                      e.g:
                      "..\Users\Trader\Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db

You could configure DropBox not to use that..?
                      but all others are ok.

TIP: it would alos be a disaster to run onedrive as your documents root which is the new default by MSFT.

Brute force
                      you can simple winrar the whole directory and on the best compression setting and then move that 1 file...

if you want to seperate out the data portion that can be done too.,
                      i find 10GB winrar files are fine. if you are good with cmd/batch commands you can do an upsert on the tick data
                      also with robocopy you can just copy the changes to dropbox from the NT folder

MicroTrends

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by itrader46, Today, 09:04 AM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                      Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                      0 responses