trades to close position sometimes create a reversal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trades to close position sometimes create a reversal

i am using the demo and quite frequently now reversal trades have occurred unwillingly. ie; long position gets closed w/ 1 lot and then also shorts 1 lot, vice versa. currently just using the wizard to create strategies. i have a stop loss set, and and other criteria to prevent loss of profits. how can i ensure that my long strategies are limited to just buy/sell, and my short strategies to short/cover?

What kind of orders are you submitting? If you want to close a position you need to send Exit() orders. If you go EnterLong() and then try to close it with an EnterShort() you will get reversal orders. Instead please use ExitLong().
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, Josh, i have Exit() orders to close positions. I have a few of them actually, which may be the problem. The first Exit order hit will close the position, but sometimes one of the other Exit orders i have in place will also be hit if the price movement is fast enough. So, for example, one of my Exit orders may be activated at the same time my trailing stop gets activated, causing an additional trade and a reversal. It is not my intention for a reversal.

How can i ensure that when position is closed that all other associated orders are canceled? Seems like a timing issue; both Exit() orders are activated at the same time?

For sure I am not the first to experience this. I am not using any complicated strategies, just the Strategy Wizard.

Comment

dargente,

NinjaTrader does not allow you to have working Exit orders if you also have working Set() orders. Please see the bottom of this link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview36.html

If you are using market orders it is a different story. In that case it would be best for you to add additional checks to ensure you still have an open position before submitting an order.

Comment

adding additional checks

Josh,

thats exactly my case, except according to the help guide these types of reversals should not happen and the additional triggers should be ignored. All the orders are market orders, no limits. The help guide says "its all taken care of for you internal within a strategy. If a rule is violated, you will be notified through an error log in the Control Center log tab when running a strategy in real-time or in a backtest". It isn't being taken care of internally. So, you mention adding additional checks... how can i do so specifically so this problem doesn't occur? There is no way i can use this product in a live environment otherwise if this basic initial flaw remains.

Comment

dargente,

Let us not jump to conclusions yet. If you have a simple as possible code sample demonstrating the issue you are facing could you please attach them as a file here? It would be of great help. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:56 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post WHICKED
            by WHICKED

Started by Felix Reichert, Today, 02:12 PM
            0 responses