strategy position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strategy position

I have been trading an SMA crossover on the simulated account and had some issues with the strategy position doubling the account position on the second order until I turned on the 'wait until flat before executing live'. Now what is happening is that it will take a position no where near the cross of the SMA for its first trade, is that happening just so the system can recognize a start point? Will that position actually be taken when I use it live? If that is the case the slippage will be totally unpredictable and for a lot of these fast movers ie. aapl goog it will be extremely costly.
    thanks
    Pete

pistolpete,

That order is taken depending on the setting you have for strategy startup. If you do not wish for this trade to occur (yes it will occur just like how it is in sim during live) you will just want to select the "Wait until flat before executing live" option that you already found.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What you just said the opposite happened has just occurred. I have the wait until flat before executing live checked off and it took me live on the short side, not only was it off the cross of the SMA but it was also at the low of the day. Is there anyway I can send you a jpg of the chart? maybe then you can see what im talking about.

Comment

pistolpete,

Please post the chart here. You can do this with the "Manage Attachments" button.

When you first start a strategy with Wait until flat it will wait until your strategy makes a trade that brings you either flat or reverses your position. At that point in time the order will be a live trade.

Ex: You start your strategy and it has a virtual long position. Your strategy closes this long position. You are now flat and the next trade will be a live trade.

Ex2: You start your strategy and it has a virtual long position. Your strategy submits a reversal order. This will be a live trade bringing you into the short side bringing you to the quantity that matches your strategy's short position.

Comment

charts

Here are the charts that I was talking about
          Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          pistolpete,

Please post the chart here. You can do this with the "Manage Attachments" button.

When you first start a strategy with Wait until flat it will wait until your strategy makes a trade that brings you either flat or reverses your position. At that point in time the order will be a live trade.

Ex: You start your strategy and it has a virtual long position. Your strategy closes this long position. You are now flat and the next trade will be a live trade.

Ex2: You start your strategy and it has a virtual long position. Your strategy submits a reversal order. This will be a live trade bringing you into the short side bringing you to the quantity that matches your strategy's short position.
          Attached Files

Comment

pistolpete,

Not sure what you mean here. Please see my prior description of how Wait until flat will work when it is checked.

From the screenshot it looks like you started your strategy and it was already flat. If it is already flat it will take whatever trade occurs next and make that a live trade. In this case it looks like a short trade was called and so it went short.

In english, wait until flat will not submit live orders until your strategy has either become flat or has crossed over a flat state. At that point forward all orders will become live orders. Take note that this does not prevent virtual orders from occurring. If your strategy is still messing around with its virtual position it will continue to make simulated trades based on the strategy logic, but these orders will not be submitted live.

Comment

please look at the charts again and explain why it enters in at that particular point. There is nothing there confirming a position? an SMA crossover strategy is supposed to initiate a trade when the SMA crossover occurs? I think im missing something all together I guess.

Comment

I cannot explain anything without seeing your code. Please post your strategy. Thanks.

Comment

I used your code with the AGU SMA. The sample sma crossover. parameters are 10 and 20. 1 minute bars. I have wait until flat before executing live ticked off.

Comment

pistolpete,

Let us rewind to the very beginning.

1. You are running SampleMACrossOver as your strategy?
                    2. You are running it on a live chart?
                    3. You have "Wait until flat" selected?

From your screenshot I am getting the sense that you have "Immediately submit live working order" selected. Please select "Wait until flat" and try again with SampleMACrossOver.

Comment

yes those are all correct.
                      I am running my sim account and my real account with live data from interactive brokers.
                      The AGU chart is live on my sim the KGC is live to market.

Comment

pistolpete,

No one has ever reported issues with SampleMACrossOver before and I am unable to reproduce on my end. Are you sure you are adding the same SMA periods as the ones you used for SampleMACrossOver? In your chart you should be able to see the historical trades the strategy has made if you leave the strategy running. Please post a screenshot of it running while you are still connected to a data feed.

Please also ensure you are on NT 6.5.1000.7.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post trilliantrader  
                        Started by Davidtowleii, Today, 12:15 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes