Difference between daily & 1440 minute bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between daily & 1440 minute bars

I'm playing with my strategy analyzer and I discovered that using daily bars it uses midnight to midnight. So I tried 1440 minute bars (24 hours * 60 min/hr = 1440) and I expected to get the same results but they're completely different. Anyone know why?

I like the results my strategy is giving me but it's placing trades at midnight which makes it hard to watch it and hard to test it out by hand before automating.

Also I tried changing my clock of my PC and the strategy results are the same (using daily bars). If the daily bars are based on my PC clock time, wouldn't the results be slightly different if I change my pc clock time?
    Last edited by cunparis; 11-01-2008, 08:21 AM.

1440 minute bars as you know are built by compressing 1440 minute bars into 1 bar based on session definitions. Daily bars come directly from your data source and there may be discepancies between the two bars that can impact the results of your strategy.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
      1440 minute bars as you know are built by compressing 1440 minute bars into 1 bar based on session definitions. Daily bars come directly from your data source and there may be discepancies between the two bars that can impact the results of your strategy.
      This is interesting because my strategy does twice as well using the daily data. I'm a bit suspicious about this, especially since I'll probably be trading against IB data instead of IQ.

What's the next step for me? Is it possible to run the stategy with realtime IB data? From what I gather in the help, we can run with the simulator. But I'd like to try my strategy with real ib data for a while before purchasing Ninjatrader. Would a trial serial number let me do this? I'm afraid my strategy will work in backtesting and with the simulator but not work with real data. The differing results with daily data and 1440 minute bars is bothersome.

Comment

You can use the free version to test. The only difference is that the orders generated are in our simulator vs theirs. In any case, the relevant issue is the data and that is the same from IB whether you use free version or a paid version of NT.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

quick question:

I am using yahoo end of day data feed (20 minute delaY)

I OPENED MA with indicator columns SMA(14) on daily and weekly series.

I also opened daily chart of BAC…the price(candlestick) refllects the correct price
          but the indicator chart dissplay seems to only reflect the previous days value.

What settings shouold I use on the CHART and indicator, so the indicator chart display reflects the correct (today’s)value?
          And what settings should I use in MA to reflect the correct data is being used in the indicator?

-for daily and weekly data-

for nt6.5
          Last edited by mystiq; 11-30-2010, 03:39 AM.

Comment

mystiq, please ensure CalculateOnBarClose is to false for both the MA and the chart indicator settings, so the last still updating candle would be taken into consideration for the calculations as well.

Thanks
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              mystiq, please ensure CalculateOnBarClose is to false for both the MA and the chart indicator settings, so the last still updating candle would be taken into consideration for the calculations as well.

Thanks

Thank you NinjaTrader_Bertrand

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post tkaboris  
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              16 responses