Charts not updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts not updating

I have tried resetting my connection and everything, I have an Ninjatrader 7.0.1000.42 (Multi-Broker Live)

My control center bid and ask is changing price but my chart is staying on the same bar that it was loaded on. Please Help!
    Attached Files

Hello minotti1,

Thanks for your post.

I first suggest checking what you have entered for the Session Template in the chart's Data Series window as this would filter what data comes up on the chart. Please also check the End Date settings as well. (Chart > Right Click > Data Series)

If this does not resolve the issue, please perform an Instrument Reset. To reset your instruments please follow the steps below:
    • Disconnect from your data feed: NinjaTrader Control Center> File> Disconnect> Select your data feed.
    • Reset your Instruments: NinjaTrader Control Center> Tools> Options> Data tab> Reset Instruments>OK.
    • Restart NinjaTrader> Connect (NinjaTrader Control Center> File> Connect> Select your connection.
    If the issue persists after taking the steps above, please reply back with a screenshot of the chart's Data Series window.

We look forward to assisting.

JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jim,

In the same vein. Suppose my charts all of the sudden stopped updating when I am in the position with the strategy. Actually that happened a couple of minutes ago.
      Interestingly enough it happened without "connection lost " communication. What would be recommended course of actions in order to

A. Not to close position
      B. To close one

Connecting and disconnecting did not help so I ended up restarting NT8 and that solved the issue. My worry what would happen with the position in the strategy in case I am not around.
      I have an option keep running checked in the event of the connection loss, but freezing is a bit different animal.

Cheers

Comment

Hello kazbek966,

Positions should always be monitored. If you must step away, I suggest giving yourself a means to check on things while you are out so you can take action if something comes up.

For example, you could implement functionality in the strategy to send periodic email alerts with SendMail.

SendMail() - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...l?sendmail.htm

That being said, if you are experiencing a freezing issue, the components involved should be isolated to what causes the freeze. If you attach or send us a copy of your workspace, we can save a version on our end that does not have 3rd party components included, and this can help to narrow down where the freeze is originating by eliminating just the NinjaTrader standard components.

If the issue is isolated to the custom strategy, can the issue be reproduced with Playback or Sim?

Can the code be simplified to illustrate the issue?

An overloaded system can cause freezing symptoms as well.

It is also known that if a resource intensive strategy is frequently updating orders, and those orders are displayed on Chart Trader, the frequent order updates may freeze the chart if the Chart Trader gets overloaded with numerous order changes. (This happens because Chart Trader is designed to update the order marker as soon as the change is made instead of waiting for a the next refresh interval of the chart.

Comment

Thanks Jim, Actually I checked the log and strategy was doing its thing while my chart was frozen.
          My strategy is pretty simple and based on AuLLMA moving average . Long when it goes up , close when it goes down. Opposite on the short side.
          Though it is separated by two separate strategies: LONG and Short. I dont think there is simpler code than that. I paid specific attention not to overcomplicate things.
          This issue never happened in Playback mode. Only in Global Simulation mode on NT Continuum connection.
          That being said I do have multiple tabs open: 2 RENKO and 4 tabes with 1,5,10 and 15 minutes each sometime running separate strategy and occasionally I am playing with manual trading.
          So there could be multiple orders from different timeframes in both long and short sides for system need to deal with.
          Do not know whether it could cause the problems. But my main modus operandi is with Renko and if their combo can cause some problems
          I can of cause use only one or another.
          If it helps of cause I can send working space as well.
          Cheers

Comment

Hello kazbek966,

It will be best to share the workspace, and we can return a copy without any third party components.

Workspace files are saved in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces folder.

With that workspace returned, the test should be: "If I do not add any components to this workspace do I see the issue?"

If you see the issue in the test workspace we return, (without adding anything custom, including your strategy) please let us know how we would hit the chart freezing issue. The purpose of the test would be to ensure that at a base-line NinjaTrader is not encountering any issues, and we should expect this test workspace not to freeze.

The next step would be to identify what specific components are involved: Make sure you can reproduce the behavior on the original workspace, and take note of that procedure to reproduce the issue. Add one component to the test workspace and attempt to reproduce the issue. I suggest starting with components that would be running on that chart and other scripts that you suspect to be related to the issue. (If you suspect the strategy, start with that script.)

Once we identify the specific component involved, we would want to learn more about that specific item. If it is in fact your strategy that is related to the chart freezing, please try setting up similar logic with a standard NinjaTrader indicator. If the issue is seen using standard NinjaTrader provided indicators, this is something we will want to look into on our end.

If the issue is only seen with the custom strategy when using the custom indicator, it will be best to then include the developer of the indicator in this conversation.

Comment

I have shared my Indicators Visual Confirmation Receiving Trade Info On Data Feed. There are two indicators that show an Instrument's Trade and Bid/Ask activity being received by NT. Options allow configuring level of information displayed on the chart. With these Indicators you are able to watch as data is received and charts should be updating. Also, it is apparent when connected but data feed for Instrument stops or is delayed.

Download from the User App Share here: Visual Confirmation Receiving Trade Info On Data Feed - NinjaTrader Ecosystem

Another of my shared Indicators is Data Feed Monitor.

Download from the User App Share here: Data Feed Monitor - NinjaTrader Ecosystem

Last edited by Jim W.; 03-30-2022, 05:48 PM. Reason: Added link to my Data Feed Monitor

Comment

Thanks for sharing those indicators, Jim. Will play with them over weekend.
                For now enclosed please find work space. Hopefully tests will show something interesting, though
                unless there is some component consistently causing problems, pinpointing randomly appearing issues could be a herculean task.
                Cheers MNQ4JIM.zip
                Last edited by kazbek966; 03-31-2022, 02:25 AM.

Comment

kazbek966,

minottil is having an NT7 problem, so I mentioned my relevant NT7 Shared Indicators. You attached an NT8 workspace. I have not gotten around to rewriting them for NT8, which I don't use. It has been so long, maybe I just wait for NT9 to rewrite them. ;-)

Jim Walker

Comment

Hello kazbek966,

Please make sure your platform is update to date, and you may drop the XML file back into your Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces\ folder, and you can restart the platform to load the workspace.

Update - https://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect

If the freezing symptom is seen with this test workspace, then we would only be looking at your machine and standard NinjaTrader components.

If this test works well on your end, we can then narrow down by looking at the remaining custom scripts that are used in your regular workspace. This should not be too large of a task since there would not be too many differences. (In cases of other larger workspaces, we would test eliminating by chart and tab before getting to a per-indicator/strategy level)

Randomly appearing symptoms could be approached by testing long enough intervals where you know the issue would arise and to test in groups of changes before making smaller changes (should not be very large in your case.)

Also, starting with the item you most suspect can help make the process shorter as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jim, I remember that some time ago I was discussing with Chris, if I am not mistaken, putting the strategy on one of the NT servers as a fee for service.
                      I quite extensively tested my strategy in market replay mode for the last 1.5 years and pretty sure that it will hold without too much tinkering and supervision.
                      So of there is a way to continue with those discussions that would solve majority of the problems as there could be always issues with WiFi, computer itself, Windows updates, spontaneous
                      restarts and other issues potentially derailing smooth operations.

Cheers

Comment

Hello kazbek966,

They would not be NT servers, but they would be servers offered by Virtual Private Server Providers. Such services exist in our EcoSystem.

I'll have a representative share more information.

Comment

Hello,

You can search our extensive library of NinjaTrader Ecosystem vendors through the link below. Simply enter a vendor's name or search by using our filter categories. Once you have identified your vendor of choice, please visit each vendor's site for more information or contact them directly to learn more:

Search trading indicators, apps and services to personalize your NinjaTrader software. Explore custom trading indicators, automated strategies, free trading apps & more!

You can locate the contact information for the vendors on their direct websites for any additional questions you may have. Since these vendors are third-party services for NinjaTrader, all pricing and support information will need to be obtained through the vendor.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The companies and services listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem, LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                          Tiffinie S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Kaledus
                          by Kaledus

Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
                          1 response