Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Saving Workspaces

Greetings,

I have been encountering an error consistently with workspaces this last week. Granted a few of these workspaces I have not used in a few months. In that time there have been a couple of updates to the NT8 platform that I have done, so I'm not sure where the error might have come from.

What happens is this. I will load the workspace, and jump from it to other workspaces no problem. I'll save it as I'm bouncing back and forth to make sure data is saving that I'm entering (i.e. notes). Then about an hour or two into using the workspace, I'll start receiving the error that pops up stating this.

NT8 workspace save error
    At first I thought there might have been some programming that happened to shorten labels of workspaces. No sweat. I shortend my labels considerably. However, the error kept persisting upon restarts of NT8.

Even with the directory title, I'm well under the 248 character limit that it's describing. I'm wondering if there's a hidden file that is being referenced here that's attempting to be saved when I select the save button on the workspace drop down menu, that may add a long string of text.

Again these titles of workspaces have worked for more than a year and a half without any change to their names, path names, etc.. Now all of a sudden I get errors, not all the time, but about an hour into using these workspaces, and attempting to save them.

If anyone has any thoughts as to how to resolve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments and suggestions.

Hello Reardon,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Is a special drive setups such as a virtual drive, or a mapped network drive in use? If so, please uninstall this configuration and ensure that the NinjaTrader database is installed to a local, physical disk.

We look forward to assisting further.
    Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response. So my entire NT8 setup is on a virtual machine. It's not using a mapped network drive, but the virtual machine is on a physical, local drive.

I have never ran NT8 on anything but a virtual machine, and have never had this issue before. My configuration hasn't changed in well over a year, and I haven't ran into this probblem with this, or any other workspace until now.

Any further thoughts as to what it might be, or what solution I should specifically be looking at in a virtual machine environment?

Here are the specs that I'm driving with.
      VMWare Fusion virutal machine running Windows 10
      2.4Ghz
      16 Core Processors
      64 Gig of Memory
      64-Bit NT8 is what I'm using

Thanks in advance for any further direction.

Comment

Hello,
        If you rename these workspaces to a shorter name, does the issue persist?
        Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey Ryan,

Yes! That is what's weird. I've shortened them down 3 times now. I think I'm about 60-75 characters now on the name. All of the directories are standard (i.e. Documents, etc.), so there's nothing log there in the string file either.

I've tried shortening the names of the files manually when NT8 was closed, I've tried copying the file and renaming it with a shorter name.

This again is going to sound weird, but apparently I find the weird ones. Saving the workspaces with these names, whether long or short is just fine until I'm about an hour into using them. In that hour I'm usually swappiing between two workspaces to compare symbols, update notes, etc.. I would say I'm bouncing back and forth between them about 12-24 times in that hour.

I don't have any other API calls going on, and this issue persists whether I have a data feed connected or not.

Nothing else is running or accessing the .xml files for the workspaces at the point where they provide that pop-up message.

I'm trying to think of any other technical details that might help.

Let me know and I'll be happy to either advise, or procure the info.

Thanks for th help as always.

Comment

Hello,

Does the issue persist in safe mode?

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
            • Loading workspaces.
            • Connecting on start-up.
            • Loading custom assemblies.
            • Getting instrument updates from the server.

To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
            • Exit NinjaTrader.
            • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
            • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
            • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
            I look forward to hearing from you.
            Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I haven't tried Safe Mode. Let me try that today and get back to you with the results.

Comment

Ryan,

I've gone into safe mode before on previous versions, but for some reason, holding the control key while in the boot-up process per your instructions isn't getting me into safe mode.

Last time I needed to use Safe Mode was last May (2020) for some troubleshooting, and I had no problem with the Control command.

Is there another back door or trick to force NT8 into safe mode on it's boot-up?

Comment

Hello Reardon,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately there is no other method to start NinjaTrader in Safe Mode. If you restart your PC, are you still unable to enter Safe Mode?

If so, you may be able to test by forcing NinjaTrader to start without any workspaces.

To do so, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.
                  • Shut down NinjaTrader
                  • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces
                  • Cut and paste all the files within this folder onto your desktop
                  • Restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.
                  • Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for the issue.
                  Please let us know if you continue to see the same error after testing with a blank workspace.
                  Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hey all,

A couple of things for you.

First, I'm driving this on a virtual PC. So apparently the key presses to get Safe Mode to kick in are Alt (Option) + Control. Once I used them together, Safe Mode kicked right in for me.

So I was able to load up the workspace I was having issues with saving, but I'm not sure if that proves anything. I was able to open it up just fine before as well. I can save the workspace, just fine for almost an hour (about 6-10 times in that hour), and then Ninja decides its' too long of a file name. This is even though the file name hasn't changed.

Ryan, now that I know the key presses, what did you want me to check out in Safe Mode? The workspace I am having issues with saving loads up fine normally and in safe mode.

Melissa,

No problem on the Safe Mode. Thanks for providing me info.

I'm not sure what your steps will help with, but I'll be happy to do them. I don't have problems saving all of my workspaces. Just a couple of them, and it's only after having them open and working in them for a while. They work perfectly fine for about an hours worth of work. They'll save no problem at all. Then after that hour or so, I get that pop-up.

So I tested with both the Untitled, and Z workspaces where I have nothing in them at all. No problems there if that info helps in any way.

Are we at the point where you want my log and trace files yet?

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and additional information,

Please write into to PlatformSupport[AT]NinjaTrader[DOT]Com along with your log and trace files and a link to this forum post.

Include ticket number 3149741 in the body of the email.

Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to your response so I may investigate this matter further.
                      Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
                      Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                      Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
                      Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

We look forward to assisting further.
                      Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

HEHEHE....sorry. I hope you guys can see the ironic in these issues like I do.

I get to about 4 or 5 responses, and no mater what the issue is, I know I better start whipping up the log and trace files for 'ya. =)

Thanks for the help. Will be sending here today when I have a chance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                        6 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post alifarahani  
                        Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                        1 response
                        0 likes
                        Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH