Average Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average Position

When my strategy has two same direction positions on the same instrument, they are shown as one position. How can I possibly make them appear two/ distinct/ separate? Thank you.

Hello Ziklag,

When you get into a position using different entry prices, NinjaTrader will show the average position price. You could use the following workaround with ATM strategies.

One of the great features of NinjaTrader is its ability to manage multiple virtual positions in the same market. Here is how this is accomplished.
    • Open 2 SuperDOMs or 2 Charts (with Chart Trader) and set them both to the same market.
    • Right click in on of the order entry windows and select the menu 'Properties'.
    • Set the 'ATM Strategy selection mode' parameter to 'DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly'.
    • Repeat the last two instructions on the second order entry window.
    • Submit an entry order to open a position in the first order entry window.
    • Submit an entry order to open another position in the second order entry window.
    I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over ATM strategy selection mode.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have possibly the opposite issue. I often scale in (eg add to a loser "double up") and want my total position to be treated on an AVERAGE PRICE basis in the ATM and its Stop Strategies. I've just started reacquainting myself with Ninja (my has NT grown!!) and set up my ATM & Stop strategies with mode @ "Select Active ATM strategy on order submission". My ATM stop got me out of the total position (great) but at the 30 tick stop from the 1st trade price (vs avg trade of both entry trades). Is there something I failed to do? Should I have reselected my ATM to recalculate & implement avg entry price? OR did I misunderstand that ATM & STOP strategies dont use average entry price?

Thanks
      Bruce

Comment

Hello Bruce,

If you have 'Select Active ATM strategy on order submission' for 'ATM strategy selection mode' selected, it will combine ATM orders when you scale in. The ATM orders of the 2nd entry orders are combined with the existing ATM orders of the first entry order. If you don't want ATM orders to be combined, but you want to submit them as configured, please set 'ATM strategy selection mode' to 'Keep selected ATM strategy template on order submission'. That way ATM orders are not combined. The 2nd set of ATM orders are submitted based on the entry price of the 2nd entry order, not on the average entry price.

Comment

Jason....Are there any scenarios where a scaled in entry on a 1 lot ATM (scaled in for 2 lot total position) will use the AvgEntry price as displayed in Brown in the Super Dom and automatically adjust the ATM OCO Bracket orders' prices? Upon execution of the 2nd order (with the lighting bolt displayed in the ATM Strategy), the OCO orders do NOT seem to adjust prices per ATM defined # ticks from the new AvgEntry price. Position and bracket OCO orders quantities adjust correctly after scaling in with another 1 lot trade.
          ATM Strategy Parameters <excerpt from documentation>
          If the value is set to 4 (ticks) and your average entry for the initiating order is 1000 and you are long, your Stop Loss would be submitted at AvgEntry - Stop Loss
          If the value is set to 4 (ticks) and your average entry for initiating the order is 1000 and you are long, your Profit target would be submitted at AvgEntry + Profit target

I'm using SimData on 101 account in NT8.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, this happens with 'ATM strategy selection mode' set to 'Select Active ATM strategy on order submission'. It will add the ATM orders of the 2nd entry order with existing ATM orders of the 1st entry order.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post traderqz  
            Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
            5 responses
            0 likes