Horrible experience with Njnja trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible experience with Njnja trader

I'm very new to NT, but I purchased it after I played a few days of SIM version, the functions are really amazing.

However, my 'live' experience with it way way worse than what I was expecting.

Today, I entered a short position of 1 YM contract and a pair of stop loss and profit target orders were immediately pending, which was correct.

A few minutes later I decided to exit, so I clicked the left side ' buy Market' button in the DOM, the order was supposed to be filled right away, but it wasn't. It still showed '1' and P&L kept changing...so I was still holding that position.

I then clicked 'close' button at the right side of DOM, hoping it can close all openigng position. After that I might click 'buy market' another time and suddenly I see '3' long positions. When I checked the 'orders' tab, it showed a few orders are in 'PendingCancel' mode.

I was really scared, I then went into IB, and trying to cancel them through IB directly but looks like whatever I cancelled would trigger NT to send in another order. I had multiple contracts now they were all moving against me.

It seems like everything was messed up, so I had to kill the NJ by terminating the program, in that way it wouldn't send in any signal to IB, and then went back to IB, and closed all positions.

A few days ago, there was another incident. I entered in a position with a bracket order. After the order was filled, then I decided to exit by manually put in a limit order (clicking the DOM). The exit order was also filled. The bracket stop loss and profit order, however, were not automatically cancelled but I didn't realized until I heard 'order filled' sound.
    Geez, that really sucks. You did nothing but an order was filled for you. It was actually the old stop loss order. And even worse, the just filled order triggered another piar of stop and profit order...I only realized it after I exit the second order but suddenly another order was filled. That caused seious loss and a true nightmare.

Basically I saw 2 problems:

1, Most of the time DOM is working perfectly, but sometimes, the buttons of 'buy market', 'sell market', 'close','reverse' etc, DO NOT RESPOND, it forces you keep clicking on it and hence result in multiple orders. This is a deadly problem and no one can afford this kind of glitch.

2, If you leave NT to handle the bracket order it seems fine. But sometimes your manual exit order may mess up NT's logic and it may result in a chain of orders.

I also have some other issues with NT, ie, sometimes the cancelled orders will stay in the DOM, you can NOT remove them by clicking 'X', in the order's tab these order appear as ' PendingCancel', and in IB, they appear as pink color but cannt be removed. So in DOM you will see there orders still there, but will not be triggered since they are phantoms, but they just stay there and causing a lot of confusion.

I'm really frustrated, this is something I can not rely on. I know whole bunch people are using it on daily basis and I don;t know if my experience also happened to others or not. Or I may have some serious problem when I set up/confugure/use this tool, or I might have done something completely wrong?

Help please!!

JesseOnt
    Last edited by JesseOnt; 11-06-2008, 08:55 PM.

Awaiting Response

As an IB account trader presently evaluating NT, I am also anxiously awaiting NT response to your issues. Hoping there is a reasonable solution.

Comment

Hello JesseOnt,

Could you please send me your log files for the dates you experienced the scenario's you described. If possible could you provide me with an estimated time the orders were submitted as well. Please send them to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and put "Attn Jason" in the subject header.

I will investigate what exactly happened upon reviewing these files.

I suspect the scenario's you described are related to inflight executions. Unfortunately this is one of the risks upon trading electronically. Please see the link below for more information.

If you experience unresponsiveness of the software, please take a look at the following link to improve the performance of NinjaTrader.

If NinjaTrader does not initially respond upon submitting an order, please do not click the button again, since this can result in multiple orders as you indicated yourself. I suggest to check the order status in the Orders-tab and if it is unclear if the order is submitted, please contact your broker.

As per the ghost orders, please repair the database. Go to Tools-->Options-->Misc-tab and click Repair DB. Check if the order are removed.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It happened to me 2 weeks ago and it created a real problem for me. Lost a lot of confidence in NT. I too am looking forward to an answer

Comment

If you have an issue similar to the issue posted above please review the links Jason provided and send your files to support so we can review your files and the time of the trade.

In flight executions are a risk of electronic trading (with any platform) but it is hard to say if this is the issue you are facing without seeing the files or knowing how your sitiuation is or is not similar.

Thank you for your post.
          JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Tim-c
          by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM