Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja Trader 7 Slow to Load/Start

I have struggled with this for a while.

NT7 taking 3 minutes 20 seconds to load. I scoured and tried all the fixes on the forums; repaired the db, closed the work spaces, deleted all the work space xml files, gave NT application the highest priorities on the resources etc.. I have a new power workstation so the hardware can't be the problem.

Turns out the problem is not NT7 but rather the Continuum free data connection for Futures. I had it enabled to connect on start up.
    When I disabled this feature NT7 loaded up in around 10 seconds. When I manually connected to Continuum it took 3 minutes to connect. Tested this multiple times from different locations and the same delay.

I have a 30MB and a 50MB fibre connection and everything else works bullet fast.

Why is Continuum free futures data connection so slow to connect from South Asia?

Is there a fix to this or another paid data service provider I can use? I tried signing up for Rithmic but it is the most arcane sign up process I have come across in my life and I have failed!

Thanks.

When you say 30MB and 50MB fibre connection, should the 'MB' really be 'Mbps'?

Internet speeds are usually rated as Mbits or Mbps (with a lowercase 'b'), which
    means 'mega bits per second'.

Your use of 'MB' implies mega bytes (per second), and is not a common method
    to rate network speeds.

'MBps' or 'MB/s' (with a capital 'B') is more common when measuring file transfers,
    but almost all internet providers measure their network speeds using Mbps.

Anyhoo, a 50Mbps fiber connection doesn't sound very fast.
    But, yeah, 3 minutes is pretty darn slow, I agree.

Just to compare, have you confirmed the same results using NinjaTrader 8?

Also, what exactly do you mean by 'Continuum free data connection for Futures'?

Finally, as far as I know, NinjaTrader no longer provides the ability to connect to
    demo accounts obtained directly from Rithmic.

If you wish to use Rithmic, you'll need to signup for (or buy) a temporary/express/demo
    account from a broker that provides you a Rithmic connection.
    Last edited by bltdavid; 10-09-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Hello remorim,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please send the log and trace from your platform to look further into this inquiry?

Here are steps to send the files without opening the platform. Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com with your log and trace files included as an attachment to the email, so I may investigate this matter further.
      • Open your NinjaTrader folder under Documents.
      • Right click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to this email.
      • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders.

Put '3301620 - Att Shawn', in the subject field and enable 'Log and trace files'. Also, give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

We look forward to assisting you further.
      Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks bltdavid You are correct, I meant to communicate Mbps.

Also, what exactly do you mean by 'Continuum free data connection for Futures'?
        >> https://ninjatrader.com/FreeLiveData

I trade with TradeStation and recently I looked into signing up with NT brokerage account but Canada isn't appearing on the country list so its been holding me back. I looked into connecting TradeStation data stream with NT but it is a cumbersome option. In the interim if will be appreciated if anyone can recommend a data provider just for the purpose of real-time data for NQ futures.

NinjaTrader_ShawnB I'll share those details shortly.

Comment

Hmm, you've said ...

Originally posted by remorim View Post
          Why is Continuum free futures data connection so slow to connect from South Asia?
          Originally posted by remorim View Post
          I looked into signing up with NT brokerage account but Canada isn't appearing on the country list so its been holding me back...if anyone can recommend a data provider just for the purpose of real-time data for NQ futures
          Are you in South Asia or in Canada?

If you're looking for 'free' real-time data, that usually comes with a
          funded brokerage account. Otherwise, it is not free.

My buddy in Canada uses NinjaTrader+InteractiveBrokers, but he doesn't
          recommend their data feed. He subscribes to Leeloo and uses their
          Rithmic data feed (included with the monthly subscription) for his real
          time data. Once you become a funded trader, I think the continuing
          cost is only $85 per month.

For data only, I'd recommend you look at Kinetick or IQFeed. Kinetick
          looks quite nice at only $65 per month -- but that's data only -- Kinetick
          and IQFeed are not brokerage companies, and their data is not free.

For data w/free trial account, take a look at Leeloo, they're a funding
          company (like TopStep) but they offer a free Rithmic Trial.

Leeloo and TopStep are brokerage companies that offer paths to live
          funded accounts, but they start you out in an evaluation account, with
          a monthly fee. As soon as you prove your trading skills (usually after
          a minimum 10 days of trading), they move you to a funded account,
          typically with a smaller monthly fee, where you keep 80% of the profits.

Both TopStep and Leeloo (and other funding brokers in this category) have
          partnered heavily with NinjaTrader and Rithmic. Realize that Continuum
          and Rithmic are not brokerages, they are broker technology and data
          aggregator
          companies. Thus, they provide an order feed and data feed
          service to their customer, which is a broker -- whereas Kinetick and IQFeed
          provide a data feed service only, and their customer is you.

IMHO, the decision is $65 for data only (Kinetick) vs $85 account+data
          (after you become a funded trader at Leeloo) but that depends upon what
          exactly you're looking for, and how skilled of a futures trader you are.

Regardless, the free Rithmic trial at Leeloo is a good place to start.
          (see attached)

Good luck!

Attached Files
          Last edited by bltdavid; 10-10-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply bltdavid . To address the mystery; Canadian, currently away from home.

I checked Leelo and studied their product offering and it's seems a bit different from what I have in mind.

Kinetic is the most inexpensive but is coming with a pre-requesite to have a live NinjaTrader trading account. I had emailed NT support yesterday as to why Canada is not appearing on the signup country list so hope to have this sorted out soon.

If Kinetic doesn't work out then IQ is also looking promising just for the data feed but a bit more expensive. At least with your help the options are very clear now, thanks.

The most sensible option does seem to be to just setup the NinjaTrader brokerage account to avoid any extra cost. Hope to have this sorted out soon.

Cheers,

Comment

I had a remote support session with NinjaTrader_Clayton and his eye caught the problem. The database file located at Documents\NinjaTrader 7\db NinjaTrader.sdf had a problem. He removed the default database file by renaming it so at startup the application created a new one. Once that was done the application startup/load time was back to normal.

He had additionally found that in the 'Accounts' tab in the Control Centre the Sim101 account was missing and that there were erroneously +5,000 orders in the system. Resetting the db rectified all the problems.

Thanks for the amazing support and help!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
              16 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Leafcutter  
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post WHICKED