Problem when backtesting time period without data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem when backtesting time period without data

I've noticed that when I run a backtest for a time period that does not have data, the backtest just shows "Loading Data..." forever. When I shot a chart from say 1/2006 to present for a symbol that only has data back to 7/2006, the chart shows right away and starts with 7/2006. But when backtesting, the "Loading Data.." window doesn't go away. It's like the strategy analyzer can't figure out that there is no data. I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm using IQFeed.

Hi cunparis,

Thanks for your post.

Since you already have the data downloaded, please disconnect from your datafeed before backtesting.

That will force NinjaTrader to just access data from your database instead of trying to go to your data provider.

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
    I've noticed that when I run a backtest for a time period that does not have data, the backtest just shows "Loading Data..." forever. When I shot a chart from say 1/2006 to present for a symbol that only has data back to 7/2006, the chart shows right away and starts with 7/2006. But when backtesting, the "Loading Data.." window doesn't go away. It's like the strategy analyzer can't figure out that there is no data. I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm using IQFeed.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Hi cunparis,

Thanks for your post.

Since you already have the data downloaded, please disconnect from your datafeed before backtesting.

That will force NinjaTrader to just access data from your database instead of trying to go to your data provider.
      This is a workaround but I still have 3 problems:

- I have my charts updated for trading purposes so if I disconnect, no more trading
      - The problem is I don't know when the first data point is available so I stumble upon this problem accidently and then have to exit Ninjatrader, then I load the chart to find out.
      - I test with different symbols so i'd have to reconnect each time I add a symbol

Comment

Hi cunparis,

Please backtest in a way that does not trigger the downloading of historical data to circumvent being stuck in the 'Loading' state.

This way you can leave NinjaTrader connected realtime and still use only the data from your local database.

For guidelines when NinjaTrader is loading data, please review this link -

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
        This is a workaround but I still have 3 problems:

- I have my charts updated for trading purposes so if I disconnect, no more trading
        - The problem is I don't know when the first data point is available so I stumble upon this problem accidently and then have to exit Ninjatrader, then I load the chart to find out.
        - I test with different symbols so i'd have to reconnect each time I add a symbol
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
        6 responses
        0 likes