NOOB Best Practice Q:How to run a strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB Best Practice Q:How to run a strategy

I have a strategy that run's between 7 am and 2 pm. Originally, not thinking I simply went to the Strategies Tab, Right Click, New Strategy, pulled up my strat and hit start. It didn't automatically pull up a chart with the indicators on it so I stopped the strategy.

I then pulled up a chart of the product and right clicked on the chart and chose the strategy from in there. Unfortunately there wasn't a Time filter so the strategy traded overnight.

I then pulled up a chart, set the chart to display 7 am to 2 pm, right clicked and ran the strategy. I did this before 7 am and because it ran a quick backtest and found it needed to buy it immediately bought, despite the time constraints.

I am wondering what the best practice is for starting and stopping a strategy each day, especially one with time constraints.

Thanks

Shiptastic

Hello,

>>I have a strategy that run's between 7 am and 2 pm. Originally, not thinking I simply went to the Strategies Tab, Right Click, New Strategy, pulled up my strat and hit start. It didn't automatically pull up a chart with the indicators on it so I stopped the strategy.

This is expected behavior, it trades without a chart if you use the Strategy tab. This link will help:

>>I then pulled up a chart of the product and right clicked on the chart and chose the strategy from in there. Unfortunately there wasn't a Time filter so the strategy traded overnight.

Strategies run on charts run off the session times. Please right click the chart>Properties and change the session begins and ends times.

>>I then pulled up a chart, set the chart to display 7 am to 2 pm, right clicked and ran the strategy. I did this before 7 am and because it ran a quick backtest and found it needed to buy it immediately bought, despite the time constraints.

To change this go to Tools>Options>Strategy tab>NinjaScript tab and check Wait until flat before executing live.

>>I am wondering what the best practice is for starting and stopping a strategy each day, especially one with time constraints.

Please see above and this link if you are a programmer:
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
    Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
    0 responses