Why does NT hang every day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does NT hang every day?

Every morning, I have to delete all files in the Workspaces folder. If I don't, then when I start up NT for the day, it hangs at "Restoring workspace 'Default'..." on the splash screen.

I'm currently typing behind the splash screen, which I cannot remove unless I use Task Manager to kill the NinjaTrader.exe process (another annoyance -- can't I click on the splash screen to make it go away?).

The only file that's in the Workspaces folder right now is _Workspaces.xml, and this is all that's in it:

<NinjaTrader>
    <Workspaces>
    <Workspace>Default.xml</Workspace>
    </Workspaces>
    <ActiveWorkspace>Default.xml</ActiveWorkspace>
    </NinjaTrader>
    This problem did not start happening until I upgraded to NT v6.5.1000.7. Note that if I kill the process and reopen NinjaTrader, then it gets beyond that Restoring... message and starts up OK.
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

This should not happen.

Next time it hangs, just kill the process. Email us the contents of the workspace folder to support, in subject include "For Ray".
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
      This should not happen.

Next time it hangs, just kill the process. Email us the contents of the workspace folder to support, in subject include "For Ray".
      You have the contents in my previous message. That was it, just that one XML file and I gave you the contents of that file.
      cassb

Comment

If that is the only file that is there, it should not hang. I just tested and it works no problem.

- Next time it hangs
        - Try restart NT again
        ---> Does it always hang each restart

If yes, please email me contents of the workspaces folder.

- Then delete the contents of the folder
        - Restart NT
        ---> Does it hang?

Comment

If that is the only file that is there, it should not hang. I just tested and it works no problem.

- Next time it hangs
          - Try restart NT again
          ---> Does it always hang each restart

If yes, please email me contents of the workspaces folder.

- Then delete the contents of the folder
          - Restart NT
          ---> Does it hang?

It just hung again. It hangs the first time I start it up. When I kill the process and restart it works fine.

Is there any compatibility issues with Firefox or with Yahoo Messenger 9.0 that you know of? Those are the only applications I have running when it hangs.

I attached a screen shot of what it looks like when it's hung up. The Additional Tools thing is there because when it's hung like this, the screen memory gets screwed up and menu items get "stuck" on the screen until I reboot. The workspaces folder still has just the one .XML file in it and the contents of it are the same as I noted above.
          Attached Files
          cassb

Comment

It is likely not the workspace since the file is really a blank file and could not cause it too hang. We have not had any reports of conflict with the other applications you mentioned.

At this point, I would suggest an uninstall of NinjaTrader and manually delete the folder below, then re-install. You will lose your data but I then know you are starting from factory default settings, we can then trouble shoot from there.

My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5

Comment

It is likely not the workspace since the file is really a blank file and could not cause it too hang. We have not had any reports of conflict with the other applications you mentioned.

At this point, I would suggest an uninstall of NinjaTrader and manually delete the folder below, then re-install. You will lose your data but I then know you are starting from factory default settings, we can then trouble shoot from there.

My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5
              This all happened since I reformatted my hard drive a couple weeks ago. Let me try one thing first before I start over. I think Yahoo Messenger 9.0 might have something to do with it. I've had YM hang and cause the computer to not shut down, and also had it cause Windows Explorer to freeze. I'm going to uninstall v9.0 and reinstall the previous version. I'll let you know in a few days if that's what it was.

Bryan
              cassb

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.
                  OK, things were going well until today. The NT software hung again at the same place as I mentioned above. The Workspaces folder is the same and the one workspaces.xml file in it is the same. I have attached an image of my task manager at the time it was happening to see if you can see anything that might cause this.

Thanks!
                  Attached Files
                  cassb

Comment

Then I guess its time to do the re-installation as per post #6.

Comment

Then I guess its time to do the re-installation as per post #6.
                      Ah... I can live with it for now. I think I'll wait until v7.0 comes out. When will that be released? Want me to beta test it and see if the problem still happens with that version?

Bryan
                      cassb

Comment

Beta in Q1 09, we will announce beta program upon release and would be happy if you would participate.

Comment

One last comment on this, Ray. It hung again today and so I killed the process. Then I opened Task Manager and watched while I started up NT again. Immediately, before there was a NinjaTrader.exe program even running, I saw the program wmiprvse.exe start up under the NETWORK SERVICE user name. This kept running while the NT splash screen was showing "Restoring workspace 'Default'...".

I checked and the only version is in the Windows/system32/Wbem folder, so I don't think it's infected by a virus. Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that tidbit in there. I'll maybe try the reinstall idea, but I don't think that will change anything. I think it has to do with some incompatibility with Yahoo Messenger or maybe Firefox settings -- or the windows firewall maybe?
                          cassb

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I am not familiar with that executable so unfortunatley it does not help me much.

Comment

OK, another experiment. It hung up again today -- same place "Restoring workspace 'Default'...".

I got into Task Manager while it was hung up and decided to try killing the YahooMessenger.exe process to see what would happen. Voila! As soon as I killed the process, NinjaTrader immediately un-froze and started up!

I am convinced that Yahoo Messenger is the culprit -- I just don't know why/what/how. Is there anything else debug-wise I can turn on in NT that would capture what it's trying to do when it's hung like that, and what happens when I kill Yahoo Messenger? I am thinking it's something to do with maybe fighting for network connections or ports?
                              cassb

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DanielTynera  
                              Started by yertle, 04-18-2024, 08:38 AM
                              9 responses