Vista with Standard vs Administrator user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista with Standard vs Administrator user

Is there a definitive statement somewhere in the Installation Guides or the forum as to whether NT should be installed and/or run from standard users versus administrator users on Vista?

I have 2 PC's running NT under standard users. One has created the Documents folder structure under the standard user, and the other has created the folder structure under the administrator user, making it painful to move my source code around. How could this have happened?

Peter

Hi pkuskopf,

Thanks for your post.

We have no official statement regarding this, as it depends on the individual restriction levels the user account are set to. Our recommendation would be to use it with 'admin' rights because we have seen occasional problems connecting without them.

For the difference in folders - I can only suspect that NinjaTrader was installed under difference user account settings then. Should you wish to change that, I must unfortunately recommend a fresh install under the 'correct' user account.

Have a great weekend!
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Hi pkuskopf,

Thanks for your post.

We have no official statement regarding this, as it depends on the individual restriction levels the user account are set to. Our recommendation would be to use it with 'admin' rights because we have seen occasional problems connecting without them.

For the difference in folders - I can only suspect that NinjaTrader was installed under difference user account settings then. Should you wish to change that, I must unfortunately recommend a fresh install under the 'correct' user account.

Have a great weekend!
      It seems to get potentially worse. Due to hassles with running under a standard account, I logged in to a different account with administrator privileges, then started NT (not re-installed - just started the EXE). NT failed to start, displayed a message about not finding a Trace directory under the current user, and crashed with a Windows exception of some sort. I switched back to the original standard username, and attempted to start NT again. It insisted on trying to create it's trace file and other tmp files in the username of the previous (failed) startup attempt, and crashed with a Windows exception. It seems to make a record of it's data folders which can't be easily repaired. Eventually my only solution was to uninstall, delete all folders everywhere and re-install.

It would be nice to sort out NT such that it works reliably under Vista's security and user access control regime.

Peter

Comment

Hi pkuskopf,

I understand your concerns...we would recommend installing and using NinjaTrader from an admin account.

That being said, we have many users including ourselves running NinjaTrader reliably and successfully under Windows Vista.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:19 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
        Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:25 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes