Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja Trader 8 Unhanded exception error

Has someone seen this error on Ninja trader 8

Error Unhandled exception: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1

I am using version 8.0.25.0 and I am on Windows 11.

It has been working fine before, this just happened recently.

I got an answer from Support on this, The following steps fixed the error:
    • Close NinjaTrader
    • Hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and keep it held down
    • While holding Ctrl down, double-click to open NinjaTrader and keep Ctrl held down until you see the splash screen say "Safe Mode'
    • Once you see it say "Safe mode" you can let go of Ctrl
      • Go to the Control Center > Log tab

Comment

Hello splunkster1,

Thank you for your post.

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve. For anyone out there that experiences this message, it indicates that there is a corrupted XML file within the platform somewhere. Since there are a number of different types of XML files that are used in NinjaTrader, it's important to test and figure out exactly where the issue is coming from. More often than not, it's likely coming from a corrupt workspace but that is not always the case.

Please perform each test below and once NinjaTrader has opened like Normal as expected, you have found where the file is located.

Start with the First test and work your way down. Once NinjaTrader opens as expected, you do not need to perform any other steps beneath that point.

Test Core NinjaTrader files:

Please close NinjaTrader and then hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard and click to open NinjaTrader. Keep the Ctrl key held down until you see the splash screen show "Safe mode".
      • If NinjaTrader opened in Safe Mode, this lets us know the Core files are okay and it is something else.
      • If NinjaTrader will not open in Safe Mode, you will want to uninstall and then reinstall NinjaTrader

Test the Workspace files:

If NinjaTrader opened in Safe mode, Close the platform and then perform the steps below before reopening:
      • Go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > workspaces folder, Click and drag the "workspaces" folder to your Desktop and drop it there
      • Open NinjaTrader like normal now without holding the Ctrl key
      • Does the Platform open?
        • If Yes, this means the Workspace that NinjaTrader was trying to open to was corrupted and you will need to delete it
          • That doesn't mean all of the Workspaces are corrupted.
          • You could manually drag the Workspace files from where they are at on the desktop back to their original location within the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > workspaces folder
        • If No, this means the corruption lies elsewhere

Test the Database file:
      • If NinjaTrader didn't open after moving the Workspace files, you can move that whole folder back to put the Workspaces back
      • Now, go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > db > NinjaTrader.sdf
      • Drag the "NinjaTrader.sdf" file to your Desktop and drop it there
      • Try to open NinjaTrader like Normal again. Does it open?
        • If Yes, this means the Database file was corrupted and you will need continue using the new one that was just made
        • If No, this means the corruption lies elsewhere

Test the Config file:
      • If NinjaTrader didn't open after moving the Database file, you can move that back to put the trade history back
      • Now, go to the Documents Folder > NinjaTrader 8 > config.xml
      • Drag the "confix.xml" file to your Desktop and drop it there
      • Try to open NinjaTrader like Normal again. Does it open?
        • If Yes, this means the Config file was corrupted and you will need to continue using the new one and re-enter your License Key and Connection information
        • If No, please let us know so we may provide further steps and information
      Feel free to always contact NinjaTrader's Platform Support team via email at PlatformSupport(at)ninjatrader(dot)com should you experience an issue performing any of these tests.
      Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When I try first step by holding ctrl key Ninja comes up with username password dialogue box, what do i do there?. I am on ninja 8.1.1.7 64 bit, with multiuser option unchecked in settings Ninja freezes sometime and also this unhandled exception while binding an dynamic operation error message.

Comment

Hello trader333,

Thank you for the message.

Please use the following steps to open the platform in Safe Mode and create a "Test" workspace to see if the behaviors continue in a clean environment.
          • If the behaviors don't continue in Safe Mode, save the "Test" workspace and then reopen NinjaTrader like normal to the Test workspace and see if the behaviors continue.
          • If the behavior hasn't returned, reopen the Original workspace to see if this behavior comes back and is specific to your original workspace.
          Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
          • Loading workspaces and connecting on start-up.
          • Loading custom assemblies (i.e. 3rd-party add-ons and NinjaScripts)
          • Getting instrument updates from the server

To enable Safe Mode, please use the following steps:
          • Shut down NinjaTrader.
          • Hold the CTRL key and double-click the NinjaTrader icon.
          • Keep holding the CTRL key until you see the Sign in Window then sign in (If the logo is Maroon, hold until you see the Control Center since this is an Older version)
          • You may then verify you are in Safe Mode by going to Help -> About.
          Once you have opened the platform in Safe Mode:
          • Reconnect to your Data Provider
          • Go to the Control Center > Workspaces > Click new > Call it "Test" > Click OK
            • Please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issues.
            • Create a small Test workspace using Default NinjaTrader Indicators only and test if the behavior continues.
          Does the behavior persist on this "Test" Workspace in Safe Mode?
          • If the behavior is no longer happening, go to the Control Center > Workspaces > Hover over "Test" > Click save
          • Restart NinjaTrader and open the platform like normal. Click "NO" if it asks to save again.
          NinjaTrader should open to the "Test" workspace in Normal mode now:
          • Connect to your Market Data and test if the behavior continues while here on the Test Workspace in Normal mode.
          • If there are no errors, try opening your original workspace
          Do the errors return when you re-open the Original Workspace?
          • If yes, this confirms that the unwanted behavior is being caused by something within the original workspace specifically.
          • You could either:
            • Remove things from the Original Workspace 1-by-1 until the unwanted behaviors go away and you will know the last thing removed was causing it.
            • Or, continue with the Test Workspace and build it back up 1-by-1 until the behaviors return so you know the last thing added back in is causing the unwanted behaviors
              • Once you narrow in on what is causing the Unwanted behaviors, you could reach out to the developer for further help and information on why it is happening and what must be done to avoid it moving forward.

If you are still having trouble, please use the following steps to send your log and trace files to the support team directly from your NinjaTrader Platform so we may investigate this behavior further:
          • Within NinjaTrader, go to the Control Center > Help > Email Support...
          • To: Set this to "Platform Technical Support"
          • Attach any screenshots that could help demonstrate the behavior
          • Include any other information you would like to share on the situation
          • Make sure 'Log and Trace files' is checked to include the requested files
            • Send the email
          ​Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​
          Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Clayton
            I think you did not read my message correctly, When I control click the ninja icon it asks me for password does not show me safe mode

Comment

Hello trader333,

Thank you for the message.

This was addressed in my prior response.

"Keep holding the CTRL key until you see the Sign in Window then sign in (If the logo is Maroon, hold until you see the Control Center since this is an Older version)"​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
              Please let us know if we may provide any further assistance.​
              Clayton G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post Jon17
              by Jon17