Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will NT 7 support hedging?

Hello,

I am very happy with the NT environment, but I recently discovered that it is not possible to hold and manage long and short positions at the same time within the same strategy.

Is that true also for the coming NT7 ?

Is there a viable and robust way to solve this limitation?
    I read that is possible to have 2 strategies running at the same time (one for longs, other for shorts), but then the problem I find is that both strategies are not intercommunicated, with is crucial for me.

Thanks in advance.

swingAB

To clarify, you can not be short and long within the same strategy simutaneously in the same instrument. You can if they are unique instruments. This likely will not change in NT7.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

hedging using 2 accounts

Hello,

Since NT is multi-account, if I use 2 different accounts, I think we could solve this limitation.

Can a single strategy use 2 different accounts?

If I use one account for long, and the other account for shorts, then will I be able to hedge?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Regards,
      swingAB

Comment

>> Can a single strategy use 2 different accounts?
        Unfortunately not

Comment

Proposals

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Let me tell you I am a bit dissappointed. I received this email (see below) and now I don't understand why a NinjaScript Certified Consultant can solve my question (not for free) and the Official NT Technical Support does not tell me that there are ways to solve it.

To whom I have to believe?

Thanks again.

swingAB

This is the message that was sent:

Subject: Single Strategy Hedging to Two Accounts

Hi SwingAB,

I am a NinjaScript Certified Consultant and I have found a way to overcome this using some advance coding techniques. Depending on your development budget and the complexity of your trading strategy, I might be able to help. Feel free to send me an email at [email protected] with more information and I will respond in kind.

Regards,

Whitmark

Comment

NS strategies do not support trading on multiple accounts. If the NinjaScript consultant you talked to provides a way to overcome this limitation, then you may consider consulting with him.

Comment

swingAB,

I am disappointed in you for posting my private message publically to take the fine folks at Ninja to task. The truth is the genius of building a trading platform on a real programming language like C#.Net is that it gives those with the know-how the ability to enable all kinds of unsupported functionality that is very worthwhile. Believe me, the staff at Ninja is not leaking backdoor methods to developers to fleece unassuming customers. Rather, it’s through our own hard work, persistence, and creativity in our craft that we are able to make things happen for clients that is certainly beyond the scope of what Ninja can support and often at our own peril. Since these solutions are unsupported, the developer bares the risk should it fail in a future release. No good deed goes unpunished

Whitmark
              whitmark
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

swingAB,

To move beyond the the basic functionality and support for this wonderful charting platform (which is extensive) you have 3 choices:

1: Acquire the knowledge to write software
                2: Pay for the knowledge
                3: Accept what is supported and make the best use of it.

Personally, I spend as much time working on developing technical skills as I do trading skills.

Comment

please don't change the topic of this thread

Thanks everyone,

I posted my message to the NT Technical Support guys. The fact that the post is public, makes other contributions very wellcome, but please, only if they contributes to answer my original question. Other answers are unfair, not relevant.

My original question is: is there a robust way of doing hedging with NT? (2 strategies? 2 accounts? Please explain how? What are the limitations?)

I'm so sorry that I am very used to share questions and answes in forums and get very valuable knowledge for free (very often I think: isn't it a wonderful world?)

Well, I received two opposite answers: 1) yes, you can hedge (from someone who wanted my money) and 2) No, you can't hedge (from the NT Official Tech Support guys).

Who knows it better? I think the NT guys should know it better than anybody. Even if it is possible to hedge but they don't want to give support on that, they should explain me a bit more if they want me to trust the one who wants my money.

I was not expecting from the NT guys a special tailor-made devepment for me, of course... but at least some directions. The rest is my own work.

I still don't know if there are robust ways of hedging with NT. It seems there is not, since I have not received a clear statement from the NT guys nor directions from anyone who have succeed on that.

While I don't receive directions, I still have:

Choice 4) Keep on searching my kind of persons that do share their own experiences and knowledge for free.

Thanks for your understanding.

swingAB

Comment

swingAB,

I think the answers provided by NT are perfectly clear and fair on this point.

I don't know what technical solution Whitmark has come up with, but if I had to build it myself... I would probably take a shot at implement a multi-strategy approach, with the code executing the two strategies communicating with each other using channels provided via the .NET platform. (Some sort of inter-process communication. Open up some TCP sockets and talk back forth? C# remoting? Shared memory? Shared files?)

So, that's a "free answer" for you... now you just have to go implement it. If Whitmark has built a robust mechanism for supporting this, I personally would probably pay him instead of developing it myself.

In the mean time, Whitmark... I'll drop you an email. I'm running on deadlines, and if you're experienced development on the platform, I could probably use some for-pay help. (Anything for handling connection drops, for example?)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Javierw.ok  
                    Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post bltdavid