Child orders disappearing in Chart Trader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child orders disappearing in Chart Trader

I have been entering ATM orders via Chart Trader in recent months without problem via IB TWS for both IdealPro FX and DAX futures. Today I entered short 2 x FDAX and on fill the target and stop order lines appeared. I was then away from my screen for a couple of minutes and on return noticed that both order lines were gone, although price movement had reached neither. TWS showed the short execution, BUT no open position. I called IB and closed the position on the phone, which then showed correctly in the TWS.

My concerns are (a) that NT may need resetting (b) what caused this. Attached are screenshots of the trade entry (it would normally show the exit as well) and the Trade Log (I erased the account name). Can you see what the problem was, please, or do you think it was a TWS issue ?

J.

Edit : the log won't upload (too big) : to which email address may I send it, please ?

Edit2 : just sent Trade Log image to '[email protected]'
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jtrade; 11-19-2008, 08:13 AM.

Please check if you have TWS version 887 installed, which is the official supported version and not a different version. You can check this under Help-->About TradersWorkStation.

I have seen similar issues that were related to a different TWS version.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

btw, when I go Help>About TWS, for some reason the window only appears for a second or two (this has been happening for some time... can't remember if it is a pre or post Vista issue).

Comment

Please send me your log file for the day the issue occurred and provide me an estimate time you submitted the order.

You can locate the log file at the following location:
        Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Log--> log.20081119 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Please send it to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and put "Attn Jason" in the subject header and reference this thread.

Comment

So, Jason, to understand your email response : exactly 15 seconds after my order was filled, I lost internet connectivity for a total of 14 seconds, such that although the stop and target levels were displayed on my chart as soon as I was filled, they did not have time to actually execute/be placed on IB's servers; NT is unable to "see" that this has happened, but removes the stop and target levels because it DOES see that they are not with IB (for whatever reason) ... therefore I should / could have re-applied the strategy once I saw my OCO had not taken place ?

What really threw me was that I could not see the short position in my TWS : I closed the position by phone to IB because I was afraid that if I did it online, I might have had an open long position without knowing it (as TWS was reporting an incorrect Realised P&L).
          Last edited by jtrade; 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Thinking about this.... 14 seconds seems like a long time not to execute... ?

Comment

Before the disconnection the status of the stop loss and profit target were "PendingSubmit". I am not sure why they were not accepted within 14 seconds; IB did not respond to NinjaTrader the orders were accepted.

You can protect your open position by submitting manual stop orders.

Comment

Thanks for your help, Jason.

Comment

Jason -this happened again this morning. I entered via Chart Trader short GBPUSD, was filled with child orders showing; 20 seconds later I lost connection to the IB servers for 9 (nine) seconds; immediately after reconnect, my child orders disappeared from both the chart and TWS. Is this to be expected ?

Comment

>> my child orders disappeared from ... TWS
                    This is the key: if TWS/IB no longer reports the order then NT would be able to report this order either. NT would not be able to operate correctly as long as orders/positions in TWS/IB are not shown as expected.

Please contact IB support to resolve the root cause of this issue.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DynamicTest  
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post ScottWalsh