VM at >1,200,000k at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM at >1,200,000k at launch

For the past few days NinjaTrader (NT) has been opening up with virtual memory at >800,000k once fully opened/steady state. It's currently opening up with both VM and memory usage >1,200,000k each at launch and is slow to open.

This is with no charts or strategies open. Normally, when NT opens I think VM size is < 200,000k at rest. With VM size opening at >1,200,000k I have just enough memory to run a single backtest w/no charts open before I get an out of memory error.

I've already tried shutting down and rebooting the PC but this hasn't changed anything. I thought I had somehow fixed this yesterday by backing up NT but the problem has returned. What's do I need to do to get VM size back down to its normal level following launch?

-Lou

If you shut down NT, temporarily move out all files under the following folder and restart, does the memory issue go away?

My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\workspaces
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ray,
      No, that's no working either. I also tried doing as you've said with a complete restart of the PC w/o any success.

Comment

What if you shut down, rename your database (so NT creates a new one) and the restart, memory issue go away?

Rename --> My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\db\NinjaTrader.mdb

Comment

Ray,
          You'll have to walk me through that one. What is the database file name and where is it found?

Comment

My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\db\NinjaTrader.mdb

Comment

Ray,
              Renaming the database appears to have worked. Both memory usage and VM size are < 100,000k.

I was using NinjaTrader on this PC for backtesting and strategy development only. How do I get my historical data back now that I've renamed the database?

-Lou

Comment

Lou,

Are you sure that in post #2, you physically temporarily removed ALL files located in the workspace folder? That folder should be completly empty.

Comment

Ray,
                  Yes, I'm positive that I did exactly that. Anyway, I'm now able to use the original database and access my historical data w/o the memory issues.

Here's what I did:
                  1) As you suggested, I renamed the database and restarted NT, enabling NT to create a new database. This resolved the memory issue.
                  2) Then I reverted the original database back to its default name and instead changed the name of the new database. After restarting NT my memory issue was still resolved and I now have access to my historical data.

Hopefully, this is the way to remedy to the memory problem should it occur again. I'll keep you posted if the problem recurs.

Thanks,
                  Lou
                  Last edited by bluelou; 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

OK thanks for reporting back.

Comment

Ray,
                      I spoke too soon. The problem is back. I tried removing the workspaces AND renaming the database as you instructed previously but it isn't working this time. NT is launching with memory usage and VM size both >500,000k.

What else can be done to fix the problem?

Maybe this will help you. Here's a little bit about my usage of NT...
                      With NT's memory leaks and since I backtest using tick bars I generally get about 6 to 8 backtests in before I have to shutdown and relaunch NT. I do it this way b/c the VM builds up with each backtest and gets maxed out after a couple of backtests. This has always been the case and I'm getting by with this constraint in the short run. However, this means that I shutdown and relaunch NT several times per day.

-Lou
                      Last edited by bluelou; 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Please send an email to support and reference this post, I will have somone hop on your PC and take a look, it will not be until early next week as the individuals I would task to to do this are currently at the Las Vegas Traders Expo.

Comment

Ray,
                          I've sent the e-mail to support. Thank you for your effort.

-Lou

Comment

We never received it, can you just send to my personal email? Just sent to ray... at our standing .com address.

Comment

Disregard, we received it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by hurleydood, 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
                              14 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Board game geek