Need help w/2 targets + 3 stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help w/2 targets + 3 stops

I've tried everything to get an ATM strat to work like this but can't get it done....here's the goal.....after buying 4 contracts at, say, 1000, the ATM needs to do this.
    1. Set initial stop at 997 for all contracts.
    2. Sell 2 at 1001 and move stop on remaining 2 contracts to 999.
    3. Sell 1 contract at 1002 and move stop on remaining contract to 1000 (breakeven).
    4. When profit on remaining contract reaches 5 pts trail the stop 5 pts back, increasing with every uptick.

I began with a 3 target ATM, with profit targets of 4,8 and 0, and initial stops of 12 pts with each target. I can't get any combo of stop strats to work as described. Do I use the breakeven setting at all or a combo of trailing stops? How many? What settings? Under what column do the stop strats go? And are they all the same stop strat or different? Thanks for any help. (I've been through the Help screens/videos on this and they don't go far enough.)Since the stops move 3 times (997->999, then 999->1000, and then trail from 1000) I've mainly focused on using a 3 step stop strat with these settings...
    Step1 - 5 tick profit sets stop 9 ticks back ( don't know what middle term to use; have tried 1-9)
    Step2 - 9 tick profit sets stop 9 ticks back (same problem with middle term)
    Step3 - 20 tick profit sets stop 20 ticks back with 1 tick increments

The behavior of this was weird. The first 2 stops got set OK. But when the third step got hit the first trailing stop looks like it was set 9 ticks back instead of 20....THEN after it moved 20 ticks from that stop it began to advance upward with each uptick. Can't figure this out.

Dave
    Last edited by dbissett; 11-23-2008, 12:08 PM.

Hi,

Your Stop Loss and Profit target are set up correctly. Don't change anything here. Then set up a Stop Strategy for your 2nd and 3rd Stop Loss

For Stop Loss #2 it needs to be:

Autotrail, 1 Step.
    Profit trigger: 4
    Stop Loss: 8
    Frequency: 99

For Stop Loss #3 it needs to be:

Auto Breakeven:
    Profit Trigger: 8
    Plus: 0

Autotrail, 1 step:
    Profit Trigger: 4
    Stop Loss: 8