Stock Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Options

I'm having a very difficult time adding options or viewing them in a chart. I've searched both the help manual and this forum and wasted far too much time for something that should be point and click.

The options that I own are showing up in the instrument manager and I have added them to the default list but I still can't do anything with them. If I try to create a new chart I get an error. If I try to edit them I get an error because the name can't start with a + like +APVGS. +APVGS shows up as a stock and not an option in the instrument manager. Furthermore, no matter what I've tried while adding instruments as options has saved - ie when I select OK the dialog box goes away with no error and all of the information I've entered is never to be seen again.

Would it be possible for a step by step example be given for adding options for AAPL to be given?

Comment

Hello Phyre,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, NinjaTrader does not support options trading, which is why there is not a method for selecting options within the Instrument Manager.
      Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan and Dierk,

Based on what Dierk wrote, it used to be possible to set up options chain. Has this been taken out? I no longer see an ability to set up the chain.

Also, is there any "back door" changes I can to to get options data displayed. I only need it for charting. I know you do not support options, but I would greatly appreciate if you can help with this one. I have been a user of ninja for a while. Any "back door" means, if they exist, will obviously be done at my own risk.

Thanks a lot,
        redduke

Comment

Hello,

I will have someone reply to you on Monday. Thank you for your patience.
          DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi RedDuke,

Thank you for your post.

I have tested this issue, and have not been able to receive data, but it might be possible so long as you have the correct symbol mapping from your data provider.

You would specify stock as the instrument type and then the exchange. With that it may be possible to get data. If it is possible to get options data then the process for data would be much the same as any other type of instrument.

Comment

Hi Ryan,

I tired that, but it did not work. I am trying to display options on KOSPI 200 Index (K200). Interactive brokers symbol is K200225B0.KS for example, the options are traded at KSE. I get instrument unknown error. I think IB needs to be told that this is an option. There is a drop down for option when instrument is created, but it can not be saved. Any other idea?

Thanks,
              redduke

Comment

Hi Redduke,

Unfortunately, my suggestions are the extent of the support I can offer. The best thing you can try is to use the extended symbol mapping in the Misc tab of the instrument manager.

However, when I test this I am unable to receive data, and am not able to save the option settings.

Comment

I tired all possible combination and all failed. I guess the instrument needs to be flagged as option otherwise the broker's api does not understand what is being asked.

Thanks,
                  redduke

Comment

Hi Redduke,

Yes, unfortunately, with Interactive Brokers I was never able to receive data, either.

This is likely because how to define options in IB's TWS application and the inability to do so in NinjaTrader.

I will say that I am not sure if this is the case with other data providers.

Comment

Ryan,

Thanks for your help. The correct symbol that needs to be sent to IB to receive data is K200220B0.KS-OPT-KSE (feb 2010 call, strike 220 for kospi 200 index), for example. I guess instrument manager is coming up with a different combination behind the scene, and no mater what I tried, the data load fails.

Regards,
                      redduke

Comment

Hi RedDuke,

I continued to try and receive data for that option, and manipulating the symbol mapping does not make a difference regardless of what I try.

Beyond that I am unable to suggest methods, but rather than the dashes you may want to use a vertical line to separate different sections of the symbol mapping, like the following symbol (|).

Comment

Trade Option

Hi Bob,

I'm also an options trader. Have you gotten NT to trade options successfully and if so which broker dealer do you use and how do you chose the contract (Put/Call), Strike, etc. to trade once you decide to enter or exit a trade.

Thanks,
                          Ansil

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                          Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                          0 responses