Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License server after crash?

Hi,

I'm trying to work out a scheme to automatically recover from a crash of my main machine.

So, let's say main machine #1 -> connected to license server, was auto-trading. And then it dies (without any prior notice... ethernet cable is just cut in half.)

Let's say my backup machine #2 can detect this some how, and tries to connect to my broker + NinjaTrader to continue work. Will the license server allow NT on #2 to auto-trade?

The ideal behavior is if the license server automatically expires (the now dead) machine #1.

>> Will the license server allow NT on #2 to auto-trade?
    yes

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      >> Will the license server allow NT on #2 to auto-trade?
      yes
      Dierk,

Sorry for not making the original question more clear. The license server wouldn't have received any kind of notification from the original machine #1 that it was exiting... the link just died. But it will still allow #2 to auto-trade?

If so, I'm happy, thanks.

Comment

I'm missing something here.

I have two Ninjatrader instances live right now (on two different machines). Both are connected to the same account (with Izone), with the same license, and both have an active strategy enabled and running.

Now, it's the middle of the weekend... so obviously no trading is actually going on... but by all appearances, both instances are live and happy. I can place a buy order using the trading interface on one NT, and the other NT a few seconds later will show the same order, as working.

I expected the NT license server to complain and kick out one of the two clients. I'm *not* looking to ruin a good thing, and I certainly don't mind being able to run in parallel on two systems... but more important than anything else, I want to know what behavior I can count on in the future. What's going on?
        Last edited by heech; 12-07-2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Not sure what kind of problems you see:
          a) please trade one account only from one machine to avoid any unnecessary confusion
          b) if machine #1 dies, you savely can start NT on machine #2, no license issue of any kind. Note: machine #2 might not have the whole trade history of #1 in the NT database (please see (a)). Better then flatten out the live account and next clear your NT db by Tools->Options->Reset DB

Comment

I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth a little, here.

I was under the impression we could "not" auto-trade two instances simultaneously. Not just because of the confusion it would cause to our strategies, but because the license server would kick one of the two instances.

It apparently has *not* done that, which is great news for anyone looking to save $1k... I'm not looking to save $1k, I just want to make sure this is reliable behavior from the license server that I can count on definitely.

Comment

~ping~ Can I get some more feedback on this?

Comment

Not sure what feedback you are looking for. I believe I provided you all info you'll need in my posts below.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by LawrenHom, Today, 10:45 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post LawrenHom  
                Started by love2code2trade, Yesterday, 01:45 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post love2code2trade