Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goofy executions, clear trace file?

Hi,

Folks can look back to some of my older threads, re: problems with NT tracking auto-trading executions. It's not a huge deal, since I'm careful now to make sure I regularly clear/repair the DB, and also manually make adjustments to prevent the BuyToCover/SellShort problems I was having before.

But the problem still can happen... whatever is in my current set of trace files, they seem to be confusing NT on startup. So... is there any downside to just erasing the trace files (after closing NT) at any point?

Trace files have no influence on anything heech. What does have influence is the strategy position calculated from the data when you start a strategy. Remember the clear distinction between a strategy position and an account position.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
      Trace files have no influence on anything heech. What does have influence is the strategy position calculated from the data when you start a strategy. Remember the clear distinction between a strategy position and an account position.
      Josh,

That's not correct, and I think you guys need to make sure other users are aware of it. I went down a long path before learning that's not the case. Trace files/executions has an influence on whether an EnterLong() are done via BuyToCover or Buy, regardless of what the strategy (or actual) position is.

See previous thread:

I'll make clearing trace files along with database a regular part of my after-day routine.

Comment

heech,

There is a clear distinction between trace files and executions. Traces have NO influence on the strategy. Executions are a different story.

Trace files are just outputted log files.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          heech,

There is a clear distinction between trace files and executions. Traces have NO influence on the strategy. Executions are a different story.

Trace files are just outputted log files.
          Josh,

Okay, understood. I thought it was the trace files corrupting the execution database, but I guess the database itself just has a tendency to become corrupt...? Execution data (showing on the executions tab) continues to be wrong from time to time, and in some what arbitrary ways that I don't quite understand. I'll just have to get used to it.

Just to reiterate to anyone out there though, you can't just pay attention to strategy position vis-a-vis actual position. You have to pay attention to historical "execution" position in the database, and if you ever clear/reset your database, or of it ever looks corruption, or if you change machines... make sure you restore manually.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification heech.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post sarafuenonly123  
            Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM