Data problem w/Strategy Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data problem w/Strategy Analyzer

I'm having a data-related problem w/Strategy Analyzer and would like some help in resolving the issue:

Here's the background:
    1.) I have an existing file of back-adjusted minute data on the 6A contract from 2/1/08-present. The existing file is under the symbol 6A 12-08.
    2.) I've appended the file by merging IQFeed's continuous data for 2007 (using the ##-##) symbol, 6A ##-##, into the 6A 12-08 file.
    3.) The data plots in NinjaTrader as expected over the entire data series.
    4.)The problem is that I'm unable to run backtests on any of the merged data prior to 2/1/08. No trades appear in the analyzer and the message log just reads "Initialize" - there are no error messages.

Why am I able to plot the data but unable to use it in backtesting? Any suggestions on how to get the backtest to run properly?

Thx,
    Lou

Lou,

Add a print line into your strategy and see the timestamps it is processing. See what is the first bar to be processed.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,
      1. I already have the print line you've mentioned. I'm not getting any output at all. The log has 3 columns: run time of the test, Default, and Initialize.

2. I've also tried a backtest from 12/1/07 to 3/1/08 to straddle the new and old data sets. As you may recall, I mentioned that my original data set began on 2/1/08. When I test over this period I only get trades starting on 2/1/08 - the start date of the original data set.

3. Regardless, again, the data plots perfectly well - but it's like the data doesn't even exist when backtesting.

Any other ideas?
      -Lou

Comment

Why would you have nothing in your Output Window? You should at least have print outs starting at 2/1 in your scenario, no?

Please try with SampleMACrossOver.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,
          The problem is resolved. Thanks for tipping me off by trying the MA CrossOver strategy. The problem was that part of the model was requesting tick bars even though I didn't have and wasn't using tick data. It was legacy code from a different version of the model and I had forgotten about it. The data appars to be working fine now.

Thanks,
          Lou

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
          3 responses