Workspace and charting question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workspace and charting question...

I just downloaded Ninja Trader 6.5 to use the charts for SP500 Emini Futures trading. I created a workspace and then created 3 charts within that workspace. I then saved that workspace. It was my understanding that from the help files and setup videos that when I then open up NTrader from then on and open up my saved workspace my 3 charts saved in that workspace would open up automatically.

This is not happening. NTrader Control Center shows that I am in the saved workspace, but it does not open up any charts. I can then create a chart and set it up to my specifications and it charts fine, however the saved workspace charts do not open.

Am I missing a step to get the charts open automatically when you open a workspace?

Thanks,
    JP

Hello JP,

Can you please ensure you follow these steps to save your workspace.

Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Save Workspace

If you select 'Save Workspace As' you can save the workspace using a different name. More information can be found at the following link.

In addition, you can save applied indicators and chart property settings in a chart using a chart template. More information can be found at the link below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason -

Thank you for replying, i previously had read thru those two links in the helpfile to make sure I was setting up the charts and workspace correctly. However, those two links and your reply did not answer my question of if NTrader is supposed to open up the charts automatically when you open a saved workspace.

Is that what is supposed to happen? Workspace opens up and two chart windows open up that were previously saved within that workspace?

I could not get that answer in the help files and that is why I posted here. Since you did not anwer that question and the two links you gave did not answer that question I am unsure as to what is "saved in a workspace" when you save a workspace.

I did save a chart template so that when I do open a chart it uses that template. But as I mentioned my confusion is to if your charts are supposed to open up when you open up a saved workspace. It appeared that the steps where:
      1. Create workspace.
      2. Create charts you want to use in that workspace.
      3. Save workspace with created charts open so that they are now saved in the workspace.
      4. If you close the workspace, close the charts, and then open the workspace the charts would open up automatically.

If the above is incorrect and the charts do not open automatically from the saved workspace, then what is the workspace for?

Thanks,
      JP

Comment

This is suppossed to happen, correct. Upon opening a workspace, it should load all windows part of the workspace.

Workspaces contain all NinjaTrader windows, such as charts, SuperDOM's, Market Analyzer windows, Time and Sales windows, etc.

I suspect that during step 4 you restarted NinjaTrader. Upon closing NinjaTrader you were prompted to save your workspaces in which you selected "Yes" or "Yes to all". This caused the workspace to save again, but now without the charts since you closed them.

You restarted NinjaTrader and loaded the workspace, but the chart were not opened.

I suggest not to close charts once part of a workspace, only when you intend not to use the chart in the workspace.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok thanks. That solved it. I was closing the charts prior to closing the workspace. I also added the superdom up and everything opened now that I know to close workspace with all tools/charts open that I want to work with.

thanks. I looked all ove rthe help files, you might want to suggest they include that info on keeping all items open when saving/closing a workspace in the workspace help link you sent me to.

I hate having to bother people with questions that are probably in a faq somewhere...I just couldn't find the answer anywhere! LOL

thanks again.
          JP
          Last edited by Fritztx; 12-18-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred