Range bar vertical gaps ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range bar vertical gaps ?

On a range bar chart---- SP500 set to (1) or 1 bar = .25 , I get a gap ( or invisable bar ) between bars ??? Is this normal for Ninja or is there a way to set it to show all bars (all .25 bars) ??? I am new to Ninja and I also use QT-----on QT all range bars show up (or you might say--stairstep)

Hi supertrader, welcome to the NinjaTrader forums! Please post us a screenshot of your chart, just to make sure we are on the page. You can also try the RangeBarAlt charttype for yuor needs, you can download it here - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...bar+alt&desc=1
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

range bars

the bars are not there? sceen shot is attached
      Attached Files
      Last edited by supertrader; 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks, not sure about your other charts underlying definition, but you can clearly see when the set range (1 tick in your case) is exceeded the chart shows a new bar, which is the normal Range Bar expected outcome.

Comment

range bars

This is the same chart on QT (same setting as Ninja) notice that QT bars all touch each other ----------each bar is .25 (1 tick SP500) The bars on Ninja do not touch (there is a missing bar tick between each bar , a missing .25 bar )------------my question--- is there a way to get Ninja to fill in all the bars??? (each bar should be .25 ) 4 of them should add up to 1 point like on QT----------------on ninja it only shows 2 bars per 1 point ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Please see my shot here from today's ES 03-09 1 Tick Range bar chart, 4 tick bars adding up to exactly 1 point and 'touching' each other. For a different range bar implementation you can check our sharing section and look for 'Range Bar Alt'.
            Attached Files

Comment

range bars

Your's are drawn correctly----my ninja will not draw the bars like that?(that touch each other while set to 1 range bar) (i have a bar missing in between each bar ?) My setting is .25------------
              I do not have ES on my feed -----could it be my feed (TDAmeritrade)? It does not work right on Sp500 or any other stock I select.
              Also here is 1 point chart set at Range (4) notice there is a .25 bar gap between each 1 point bar -----it is doing this on all range bars --JUST NOTICED THIS ---what is wrong? Plus just ran the SIM with range bars and it's wrong also----Help ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by supertrader; 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Hi supertrader, the issue will most likely be the TDA connection does not support historical tick data of which the range bars are created. For the ES you could take the ZenFire trial offer and check if the range bars are to your liking, here are all your data choices with NinjaTrader - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ricalData.html

Comment

supertrader, the image posted by Bertrand (post #6) is a bit misleading. Look at it again and notice that in all cases the open of a new bar is always one tick away from the previous bar close. The bars appear to match up as you want them to, but in fact they do not.
                  Range bars in Ninja are designed so that the new bar always opens one tick away from the prior close. To achieve what you want, a custom bar type would have to be coded, which is outside of the capabilities that NinjaTrader will support.

Comment

range bars

You are saying that all range bars are gaped 1 tick apart (ES range bars have a .25 gap)------------I just ran my ES simulator on range bar 4 and there is a .25 tick gap between each range bar -------do your charts (or anyone else) look the same as these two ??? ( I ran a line at 1257.75 on one chart and ran one at 1258.00 on the other = this is the .25 gapping------my main queston is --------------is this right for Ninja???
                    Attached Files

Comment

supertrader,
                      Yes to all three questions.
                      The new bar starts when price goes at least one tick outside of the range of the old bar.

Comment

Yes supertrader, those chart outcomes are expected.

Comment

range bars

Thanks everyone!!! I would like it to stairstep ---but I can't have everything -----------I will put it on my wish list

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
                            Please see my shot here from today's ES 03-09 1 Tick Range bar chart, 4 tick bars adding up to exactly 1 point and 'touching' each other. For a different range bar implementation you can check our sharing section and look for 'Range Bar Alt'.
                            NinjaTrader_Bertrand,

I have to disagree with your assesment of your attached chart.

Bar to bar, NT is opening each bar one tick beyond the close of the previous bar on your chart.

If you are trading at market on open of next bar, NT is docking you one tick in and one tick out on every trade.

It is also causing a time delay in opening up each new bar.

This needs to be confirmed and fixed ASAP.

Thanks,

RJay
                            RJay
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

Hi RJay, thanks for the input - not sure I follow: the set range has to be exceeded to form a new range bar, so if you have it for example at a 4 Range on the ES (1 full point) and a close of 871.50 the market needs to trade at 871.75 to create a new range bar...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 12:14 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post f.saeidi  
                              Started by Russ Moreland, Today, 12:54 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes