X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader freezing on startup problem

I'm using NT 6.5.1000.8, SimulationOnly

I use eSignal as my data provider.

Of late, NT has taken to locking up on startup at about the time it begins to load the 1st ticker symbol, or, if not then, when I connect to eSignal.

I only have 4 workspaces. Each represents a single symbol, but reflecting 6 charts (or 6 different views) of that one symbol. The charts are spread out on two monitors, 2 charts on the left, 4 on the right.

My db file is 11 megabytes.

My machine is a quad processor, 4 gigs of RAM, 1.5 terabytes of storage, XP Pro, SP 2

I have to forcibly abort NT with the XP Task Manager and restart it. It USUALLY starts correctly the 2nd time.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Are there any errors when the program stops responding?

Make sure you are on the latest version of NinjaTrader 6.5.1000.8. You can check under Help --> About.
    If not, please download from this link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/do...g_software.htm

Please use the following link for some performance tips: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html
    Try repairing your database as well: Tools --> Options --> Misc --> Repair DB.

Also run a virus/malware scan as harmful programs can cause poor PC performance.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ah...I can tell this is not going to work out. You're not actually reading my posts, are you? Oh, well. Better to find out up front rather then investing months of effort into learning the platform and THEN finding out.

As the very 1ST line of my INITIAL post reads, I'm using NT 6.5.1000.8, SimulationOnly, as retrieved from the about box.

There are no error messages. The program simply locks up, the open charts stop updating or responding to input, and the app has to be aborted.

I read the performance tips prior to my initial post. And I'm having lockups, not performance issues. But I read the tips anyway.

I will repair the DB, and will do so frequently. As I already have. But I will keep doing it. Of course, the program has to fully start BEFORE I can do this, you do realize.

I subscribe to a professional service to keep my machine free of malware. The last time a complete check was performed, using multiple scanners, was last night. Naturally, not wanting to burden you with trying to resolve NT problems in the context of an infected machine, I made sure of this BEFORE my initial post.

Comment

Hello flyarbo,

In case of a lock up, it usually indicates NinjaTrader is requesting too much data/resources.

You will need to reduce data/resource request of NinjaTrader.

Please check if you are running workspaces in the background (these will request data & resources as well) and close them. Please go to File-->Workspaces and close all workspaces listed below "Save Workspace As" except the Default workspace. Select the workspace and go to File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace.

The following link will provide you helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader and prevent freeze ups.

Please apply these tips and check if the lock up persists.

For example, please set "Calulate on bar close" to True for the indicators that you run and check again.

In conclusion, you will need to close some NinjaTrader windows, such as charts, Market Analyzer windows that request much data before connecting to your data feed provider.

In addition, NinjaTrader 6.5 does not support multiple processors. This will be supported in NinjaTrader 7; its beta version is expected to be released the first quarter of 2009.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post WHICKED
        by WHICKED

Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
        15 responses