64bit Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64bit Win7

For those curious, I've been running Ninjatrader 6.5 in the 64bit version of the Windows 7 public Beta with no issues.

thanks tokendude, was pondering doing it. Did you do a dual boot install, as i dont have a test puter to try it out on?

Comment

No. I use VMware to create a virtual machine and I've installed Windows 7 in it. That's how I test all new software.

I currently also always run NinjaTrader in it's own virtual machine. I found that a few programs don't play nice with NinjaTrader, and this eliminates those problems.

My reason for trying Windows 7 and the 64bit version in particular is that I wanted to see if the memory handling was any better. Using both WinXP and Vista I still could run into instability problems on rare occasions if I was opening and closing a large number of workspaces. Haven't had a chance to explore that in Windows 7 very much though. Been a busy week.

Roy

Comment

great, I'm going to look into vmware. 32 or 64 bit xp and vista? I'm looking to move into 64 bit so I can add an insane amount of memory.

Comment

Roy,

Please let us know regarding any memory improvement with Win7. Using the latest build 7000 presumably?

If you have a chance I'd like your input on what problem software you've identified, as I have had a lot of NT problems that support cannot solve and want to see if anything matches up.

I want to run my primary trading platform from a VM, but to my knowledge there is no way to do a three-monitor remote desktop setup or VMware client setup and that pretty much eliminates that. Let me know if you disagree.

Mike

Comment

Note to self:

I will need to play with this.

Comment

bobbethgoo - I only have the 32 bit versions of XP and Vista. NinjaTrader does not support 64 bit platforms although some report it works and some report it doesn't. I just wanted to try it in Windows 7 (64bit) to see what happened. So far so good.

ctrlbrk - yes it is build 7000 (the public beta). There were a number of problems I was having with my system and NT, but that was about 6 months ago. I don't recall everything, but Visual Foxpro v9, MacroExpress v3, CorelDraw v13, and Nero v6x where the main culprits I think. Nero isn't NT's fault because it is known to have memory problems of it's own.

Regarding multiple monitors, I only run two, but can do this in VMware with no problems. You just have to install VMware tools (included with VMware), but you would want to do that anyways because that gives you sound support and advanced file sharing/handling capabilities also.

Regarding the memory handling, my guess is that the problem won't be any better in Win7 because it's a dotnet issue more than anything (from what I understand). Since my base machine is 32bit XP though, I can't throw more than ~2.5gig of memory at Win7 in a virtual machine because of the 4gig limitation in 32bit systems. For now I'm just seeing if it will run at all.

Ultimately what I want to do is use Win7 (64bit) as a base and run virtual machines for problematic stuff. That way I can use more memory in the base system. It will be a little while before I can do a full install of Win7 though. I'll keep you guys advised of my progress though.

Roy

Comment

Roy,

Thanks for the info. I think the VMware issue is with more than two monitors, due to the frame buffer size of their emulated video card. It really stinks

I've read a lot of great things about Win7. I tried an earlier beta from my MSDN subscription and really wasn't impressed, just looks like Vista 1.5 to me. But, apparently a lot of people think it is great, quite a bit snappier than Vista, and solves a lot of annoyances. Hopefully it will reach a high adoption rate so we can finally get x64 into the commonplace.

Comment

Well, at least in a VM, NinjaTrader runs no better under Windows 7-64bit than it does under XP (either in a VM or stand alone install). I still have those random freezes that occur seemingly at random, just as they did before under XP.

Eventually I plan to try a stand alone install of Windows 7, but time just hasn't been available yet. If I do, I'll update again.

Roy

Comment

Just to let you know. I run NT on Windows 7 RC Build 7100 64-bit. It works fine so does the IQFeed.

Comment

running NT6.5 on Win 7 32/64 bit with no issues...

using both a zen-fire feed and a TT feed... again, no issues

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                      11 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post xiinteractive  
                      Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred