Data feed recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data feed recommendation?

I'm looking for a good/cheap data feed only service, any recommendations?

Hi,

We have a discount available with Barchart.

More info can be found here:
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I understand there are only a few data providers that have "unfiltered" true real-time data services. Is Barchart data filtered or unfiltered? How about Zenfire and Kinetick? I know the latter claim to be unfiltered, but do people have experience with them?

Comment

Hi tradetree,

Thank you for your post.

Kinetick is truly unfiltered data, and you can find more about the other technical specifications at: http://www.kinetick.com/features.

Kinetick is also the optimal datafeed for NinjaTrader 7 since it has been technically optimized to work with the NinjaTrader 7 platform. More information at:

As for Zen-Fire I believe they are unfiltered, as well, but you will want to contact the broker/provider to make certain that this is true. Additionally, you will want to contact BarChart to verify with them if the data is unfiltered.

However, I will let other users speak to their personal experiences with each of those providers but each are supported, with Kinetick being the optimal feed for NinjaTrader 7 and can provide real-time data.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the info.

How important do traders believe "unfiltered" data is to trading? Is it only important for tick trading, or even for 10 minute bars? Is Interactive Brokers data "filtered"? How can you test for this or do you just take the word of the provider?

Comment

Originally posted by tradetree View Post
            Thanks for the info.

How important do traders believe "unfiltered" data is to trading? Is it only important for tick trading, or even for 10 minute bars? Is Interactive Brokers data "filtered"? How can you test for this or do you just take the word of the provider?
            I daytrade with IB but do not use it for datafeed as historical data is not really good specially for tick charts or continuous contracts as non existant. I used to have E-Signal for data provider they are excellent but recently switch to kinetic live data feed, I was able to get a 1 week free trial and compare it with E-Signal using 2 PC's and T&S window of ES, they were both the same so I would recommend using Kinetic as it is cheaper specially if you have an account from with you can wave CME fees it only took me one day to get live data feed once I subscribe and connected to IB so had delayed data for ES but since I only trade TF that wasn't a problem .

You can go on Kinetic website and make a request for a 1 week try out.

Comment

I have been making the following financial assessment. If I have a broker with a good data feed, like Vision Financial, but I want to add accounts with cheap commission rates like IB, then it may be worth it to buy a Multi-broker NT license, use the Vision feed, and trade mainly through IB. At $60/mo for a data provider isn't this a less costly path or am I missing something. To be honest it gets quite complex how brokers get you to pay fees, so it is possible I am missing something. If I have a single broker license from NT, then I have to pay for a data feed. If I have the multi-broker license, then I can get my feed from the second broker that has higher commissions, but just do less trading to that brokerage. Is this a reasonable idea?

In 8 months the multi-broker cost of NT would be break-even ( $500 / $60 = 8 ). That is assuming I have an account with Vision that I don't mind having there.
              Last edited by tradetree; 12-11-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradetree View Post
                I have been making the following financial assessment. If I have a broker with a good data feed, like Vision Financial, but I want to add accounts with cheap commission rates like IB, then it may be worth it to buy a Multi-broker NT license, use the Vision feed, and trade mainly through IB. At $60/mo for a data provider isn't this a less costly path or am I missing something. To be honest it gets quite complex how brokers get you to pay fees, so it is possible I am missing something. If I have a single broker license from NT, then I have to pay for a data feed. If I have the multi-broker license, then I can get my feed from the second broker that has higher commissions, but just do less trading to that brokerage. Is this a reasonable idea?

In 8 months the multi-broker cost of NT would be break-even ( $500 / $60 = 8 ). That is assuming I have an account with Vision that I don't mind having there.
                tradetree let me explain you how this works for me.

I have an account with IB from which I daytrade futures (mostly TF) this datafeed cost me nothing as long as it equals or exceeds 30 bux commission monthly which is very easy to achieve. Because IB historical data feed is not that great for my needs and do not carry perpetual contracts (##) I use a second data provider for which I need to pay but that is ok as I only need to pay monthly basic fee as you can eliminate the exchanges fees when you have a valid trading account. I also do not need to pay the extra 20.00 $ for market depth as I have it with IB. This also provides me with an extra back up data feed so I consider this a very good COMBO.

In conclusion, with Kinetic right now all I pay is 50.00$ monthly and nothing for IB data feed in January I will have to pay an extra 70.00 $ for the ICE US exchange as the ICE US index free data feed will not exist anymore and it doesn't seem like they will wave the fee for it even if you have data from your broker but that is because I mainly only trade TF.

I hope this will help you understand how this works and why I use another data provider beside the one that is free from my broker.

Comment

Larry,
                  I understand your setup and it makes sense. But can you comment on my idea? I believe you could save the $50/mo you give to Kinetick. I believe Vision Financial has the same data available via Kinetick, but if you have an account with them you do not pay for the data feed. They make their money off of your commissions, not data feed fees. So that way Kinetick is not needed.

In summary, I trade my IB accounts using Vision Financial data feed and pay only IB commissions. No monthly data fees to anyone.
                  Last edited by tradetree; 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by frslvr, 04-11-2024, 07:26 AM
                  6 responses
                  1 like
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                  Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post trilliantrader