Line drawings get cut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line drawings get cut off

I drew some trendlines that started a few days ago and drew them so that they extended past yesterday's session. Well this morning I opened NT and the trendlines all were cutoff right at today's opening session line. Is there anything I can do about that?

I also just noticed that a line or two that I drew yesterday that began past that particular day's close complete disappeared.

I'm curious, if I open NT say at 9:00 AM ET and start drawing trendlines, will these also be cutoff once the market opens at 9:30 AM ET? I would very much appreciate any help with this.
    Last edited by trader_rick1234; 02-04-2009, 09:30 AM.

Originally posted by trader_rick1234 View Post
    I drew some trendlines that started a few days ago and drew them so that they extended past yesterday's session. Well this morning I opened NT and the trendlines all were cutoff right at today's opening session line. Is there anything I can do about that?

I'm curious, if I open NT say at 9:00 AM ET and start drwaing trendlines, will these also be cutoff once the market opens at 9:30 AM ET? I would very much appreciate any help with this.
    Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I will test this tomorrow morning and report back.
    Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

hmm..I think I found the trigger

ty very much NinjaTrader_RJStein. I found a way to test it now though. I think I found what causes the behavior. If you have time would you mind trying this? You can actually test this behavior throughout the session (by redefining "session").

I guess NT looks for a beginning of session "signal" (it checks time and date I guess?), and at that point clears the canvas. This is how I found out about the quirk:

Starting with a new chart for clarity (AAPL 1 Minute chart in this case), this only works while the market is open.

1.) redefine the session begin time to be 3-5 minutes from now (or more or less, but enough time to give you time to draw a few trend lines)Actually in the chart shown I also changed the end time, so that's why it looks funny.
      2.) now draw trendlines that extend from yesterday to today or also one that starts past yesterday's close.
      3.) you can save workspace and close out NT (as if done for the night) --OR you can just disconnect from the data feed--either way will work.
      4.) reopen/reconnect after the market has opened.

now the trendlines are cut off.

Oddly, this only happens if you open/connect NT after the market has opened. As long as I open and connect NT before the market opens then the trendlines persist. Below are some pics. I've replicated it a few times.

Then I disconnect, wait about 1-2 minutes until the market has opened and this happens.

Not only do the lines get cut off, but you can see the diagonal one got distorted. Kinda strange. If there are lines that extend/start in todays session and today's session has already started, the lines are out of bounds and are truncated. Like I wrote though , if you connect before the market opens, then the lines stay for some reason. Oh well, I just have to make sure I connect NT before the market opens, but it would be nice if you guys could fix that. I really would appreciate it.

I also noticed that time after the session closed is undefined but bound to 24:00 hours--even though in the properties of the chart I have the session defined as 9:30 AM-4:00 PM.
      Last edited by trader_rick1234; 02-04-2009, 12:08 PM. Reason: added some comments to pics

Comment

Ok, thank you for the example. I was able to reproduce.

I will send this to development.

Have a great day!

Comment

it didn't work after all

Just wanted to add a correction. I stated that this glitch only happens if you open or connect after the market has opened, but in fact it happens at any time. Trendlines that extend into a new day get cutoff. It seemed it was working if I connected before the market opened, but really what was happening was that the line truncation was not being seen until you refresh the screen by switching to a different time frame. This sucks. I can't use this software like this. Any ideas on how I can work around this? I would really appreciate any ideas.

If you would like to replicate this:

1.) redefine the session begin time to be 3-5 minutes from now (or more or less, but enough time to give you time to draw a few trend lines)
          2.) now draw trendlines that extend from yesterday to today or also one that starts past yesterday's close.
          3.) once the market opens you'll still see the tendlines, but try switching to a different time frame and the lines will disappear.

Comment

- This issue is addressed in NinjaTrader 7.

As for a workaround, you must connect before drawing your trendlines.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post wzgy0920  
            Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes