Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to (really) avoid backfill after switching symbols?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to (really) avoid backfill after switching symbols?

Dear NT support,

I am a stock trader and quite new to NT. I trade via InteractiveBrokers.

I don't know if this a chart or a connection issue. Please move the thread into the appropriate forum if necessary.

So here comes the issue: My screen space is limited so I can only have a few charts open at a time. I trade from a universe of around 100 stocks. I like to switch the charts frequently. Unfortunately when I do that, NT is performing a backfill for the current day at least. Always!

I have tried the method of keeping an indicator in a market analyzer window with number of bars to keep set to 1000. This had no positive effect. It is still backfilling all the time. Very frustrating as this takes a lot of time.

Is there any method known how to avoid the backfill or to really use the data from the market analyzer? If not, are there any improvements planned wrt/ this issue in 7.0?

Thanks
    andres

Hello,

Try openning a workspace: File>workspace>open, with one set of saved charts. Then open another one. One will go to the "background" and not show up. However if you go to File>workspaces and click on the unchecked worspaces at the bottom of the list it will bring up the "background" workspaces that are open. Please be aware that this is very CPU intensive though as all of these charts are running even if they are in the background.

Also try pulling up less backfill for each chart so there is less to load. Do this by reducing the bars back field in the format data series window.
    DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have thought about this before. Not very feasible, I can't organize the stocks that way because I don't know in advance which ones to group together.

Remains only the question: is there something planned for 7.0 to mitigate this? I would at least expect the backfill to take place in the background while the chart is already displaying the data it already got. But in the current solution the backfill is like small blackout period where I can't even look at the chart to be prepared for the new data.

IMO in a realtime trading app like NT, backfill should always be done in the background, updating the chart that is already on display, just like a tick updates the chart that is already on display.

Comment

Hello,

NT7 will have major improvements in charting, including speed of loading. The specifics of which are not released yet.
        DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ben, Ok then I'm trying to cope with the given circumstances and hope that all will change for the best in 7.0. Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post inanazsocial  
          Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post trilliantrader