Necessary / recommended bandwidth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessary / recommended bandwidth

What should I expect from my ISP / internet connection (e.g. in terms of the required download and upload bandwidth) if I were running automated strategies characterized by

- time-critical execution (scalping);
    - CalculateOnBarClose = false;
    - multi-instrument trading (2-4);

The line would be shared by two computers: one being used for live trading (one strategy at a time) and the other for strategy development and real-time testing (1-4 strategies at a time). The above-mentioned features would also apply to strategies under development.

When should I consider leasing a dedicated line (if ever)?

Does the selection of the datafeed or the broker play any role in this calculation?

Hello jp_kettunen,

The general rule applies, the more download and upload bandwith you can use, the smoother the data stream will be processed. A high speed internet connection is recommended when trading electronically.

I am not exactly sure regarding the role of the connectivity provider. None of the providers are identical, but I am not sure how this will affect the calculation.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'd be more concerned about the horsepower of the computer than the pipe coming in.

Easiest way to explain it to you so you "get it" is to have you see for yourself what's actually moving through your internet connection.

go here www.dumeter.com and get their Download/Upload meter.

run it and see for yourself how little is actually coming through for a dozen symbols or 2 dozen symbols. Then see how much is going through when your watching streaming video off of YouTube or Hulu.

You're real problem is processing the data as it comes in - basically the bottle neck is how fast your computer can taking the data off the network ( get it out of the buffers on your network card ) and then process it in your strategy.

Those two points compete with each other for CPU time frequently and a heavy load on the CPU from the strategy can interfere with the connection.

Bottom line, worrying about the bandwidth is 3 or 4 on the list of things to be worried about so long as you have a reliable broadband connection of any type.

Comment

Sure, the OS plays a key role here, and MS isn't, unfortunately, the best possible OS for mission-critical computing ;-)

May I conclude that I should get along, say, with a 4M/1M broadband connection, provided that I am not downloading videos at the same time and that my ISP really provides - most of the time - that capacity?

I have currently a 24M/1M line (working fine!), but I may have to get along with that 4M/1M in the future (moving to an exotic location where the last mile copper is thin and old, and where state monopolies rule the game). This is the reason why I am asking...

Comment

at 4M/1M you should be good to watch movies as well if you're only using half a dozen symbols....assuming the processor can handle it.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate your swift reply.
            Jari

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post GLFX005