Strategy Position Vs Account Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Position Vs Account Position

I have been doing homework regarding "Strategy Position vs Account Position" and I have concluded that set and forget is simply not a feasible expectation for NT.

I see a lot of potential for this platform and I believe NT has the right marketing strategy, but as for going live with real money, I can't really consider this platform "automated" at this time.

Between syncing with brokerage and having to manually reset broken/stale connections (for whatever reason, regardless of who's fault it is) and then having to manually reset strategies and then put in dummy orders with different fills from where the strategy or account would fill, etc. is just completely unreasonable.

It really takes away the vision of true mechanical set and forget. NT 7 apparently addresses some of these issues, but I am starting to lean toward Skynetman's sentiment and share his frustration, particularly after being days away from going live (or rather I was).

How can I expect to set and forget the system and have any sense that it will be reliable enough to run for 2-4 days at a time. The whole idea is to not have to stare at the screen and be tempted to interfere with what I know is a winning concept (my primary motivation anyway, not to mention getting my time freed up from mundane tasks and watching grass grow).

I am really curious to know if anyone is trading with NT in a "Set and Forget" fashion to the degree that they are sleeping at night with real money/strategies running live. If so, what are their findings.

I am going to stop now before my frustration with these findings leads me to say things I may regret later ;-)

Thanks and I look forward to replies and feedback please. Please feel free to convince me that my findings are incorrect.

Please note: Set and forget and sleeping well is to mean that you feel confident the system will execute as per your rules and that it will be able to do basic corrections for resetting broker feeds, etc. It is also to mean that nothing is truly set and forget, but that you don't have to watch it by the hour, rather you could get reports sent that will give you a fair idea of where your strategy is at and behaving as it should. I don't expect to turn on a system and use free time to count money, rather I don't want to setup a mechanical system that needs to be monitored by the hour. So please, constructive replies only.

n2kTrader
    PS, This is not a dig on the development team or support. I truly applaud what you are doing. I am just feeling like I may have invested a lot of time in the wrong platform for true auto trading. I will however, stand to benefit from my time investment as a manual indicator and strategy idea testing perspective.
    Last edited by r2kTrader; 02-24-2009, 07:34 AM.

r2kTrader,

NinjaTrader never recommends leaving your strategy unattended. You should always supervise your strategy. At the least, be in a position where you can still make readily adjustments when away from the computer.

We do understand your requirement for a complete black box solution, but currently NinjaTrader does not position itself for black box trading. This is something we are constantly looking into. Improving our infrastructure to allow for such style of trading is also always on our list of feature enhancements. As you have noted, NT7 will yet again take another step forward in this direction.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
    4 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
    Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
    1 response
    0 likes