NT6 keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT6 keeps crashing

I run NT6 and have run into a lot of crashes lately. The app just keeps expanding its memory footprint to over 1GB although I've got only a few charts open. Sometimes I try to open a new chart and it just hangs there forever trying to load the chart data (I use IQData which is reliable). Just now it crashed without any reason - was running for a few hours and then it just dies.

FYI - I'm planning on auto-trading a substantial amount of assets with NT6 but thus far I have refrained from doing so as this release appears to be unstable.

Michael

Michael, thanks for your post and sorry for issues you have been experiencing.

Which NinjaTrader version are you running exactly?

To investigate it would be helpful to take a look at your trace and log files, please forward them directly to (support at ninjatrader dot com Attn Bertrand).

Thanks & good weekend!
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Trace files

Hi Bertrand - thank you for your quick response. I have taken note of your contact info and will email you next time it happens. BTW, where can I find the log/trace files?

Thanks!

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Michael, thanks for your post and sorry for issues you have been experiencing.

Which NinjaTrader version are you running exactly?

To investigate it would be helpful to take a look at your trace and log files, please forward them directly to (support at ninjatrader dot com Attn Bertrand).

Thanks & good weekend!

Comment

You are welcome Michael, trace and logs can be found under MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 and then the trace and log subfolders.

Comment

Sent you log files

You are welcome Michael, trace and logs can be found under MyDocuments > NinjaTrader 6.5 and then the trace and log subfolders.
          I just sent you a message with my zipped log and trace folders. This keeps happening and NT is almost unusable at this point. It's definitely not my DTN connection as it's humming with QuoteTracker.

For instance: I can launch NT and then start an optimizer to run across an ES based strategy. If I then actually connect to IQFeed during that process it just halts and turns zombie.

Bear in mind that NT rarely really 'crashes' - it just gets stuck and I have to kill the process. Very annoying if it just ran through 6 hours of optimization and I lose the entire result.

Fortunately I'm not trading a real account with this yet otherwise it would turn into a big mess. Could not justify that with my clientele - this is way too buggy. How are you other paying customers dealing with these issues?

I checked with DTN and they tell me that it's a 'commonly known' issue with NT. Why don't you guys fix this stuff? We can't just all give up what we aree working on and wait for NT7 which has been promised for several months now. It was supposed to be released at the end of 2008 and now it's this summer? Or are we talking fall now ;-)

Seriously - I only can burn so much time on this. Help me to stabilize this app or I have to move on.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi molecool - got your files, thanks - will review them and respond directly via mail.

Comment

Michael,

I just wanted to post here to let you know that DTN IQFeed and NinjaTrader developers are actively looking into this issue. I believe our support group mis-spoke when they said this was a "commonly known issue" with NT. While we have seen this happen on occasion, it is by no means "common". In fact, we receive overwhelmingly positive feedback from NT users who have switched to IQFeed. We are trying to get to the bottom of where the issue is. It could be slow downloads of historical data from IQFeed or some message being processed incorrectly (or missed) between IQFeed and NT.

I can assure you that NinjaTrader works very close with our development staff anytime there is an issue. We both have the same "customer service" mentality and want our combined products to provide the best trading system in the market.

Hopefully we will be able to identify the issue and get you a resolution in short order.

Thank you for your business.

Jay Froscheiser
              DTN

Comment

Thank you for the clarification - I'm trying to make this combo work but those crashes are discouraging.

Originally posted by DTN IQFeed View Post
                Michael,

I just wanted to post here to let you know that DTN IQFeed and NinjaTrader developers are actively looking into this issue. I believe our support group mis-spoke when they said this was a "commonly known issue" with NT. While we have seen this happen on occasion, it is by no means "common". In fact, we receive overwhelmingly positive feedback from NT users who have switched to IQFeed. We are trying to get to the bottom of where the issue is. It could be slow downloads of historical data from IQFeed or some message being processed incorrectly (or missed) between IQFeed and NT.

I can assure you that NinjaTrader works very close with our development staff anytime there is an issue. We both have the same "customer service" mentality and want our combined products to provide the best trading system in the market.

Hopefully we will be able to identify the issue and get you a resolution in short order.

Thank you for your business.

Jay Froscheiser
                DTN

Comment

molecool,

NT crashes when doing large tasks (over 1.2GB memory), particularly if you are using tick data or range data (non-minute data).

In my experience, it crashes more with IQfeed than it does with Zen Fire, having used both. Best I could tell it was due to the external API. Since Zen Fire uses NT's own servers for historical data, it stands to reason that implementation is the most sound.

But the core issue is not IQfeed, it is NT's memory problems. Basically, there is no solution and NT doesn't even consider it a problem.

There are plenty of posts on the board describing my personal frustration with this, as well as many other users. The latest info on NT7 is that it has the same memory limitations. I guess the best we can hope for is it wont crash as much, but the holding out for a fix seems unlikely based on what (little) is being said about NT7.

Good luck.

Mike
                  Last edited by ctrlbrk; 03-07-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post

But the core issue is not IQfeed, it is NT's memory problems. Basically, there is no solution and NT doesn't even consider it a problem.
                    We consider performance and memory optimization very important and have spent considerable effort to improve these areas with NT7. Once we are in a position to disclose more information on this, we will provide more specific details.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When are you expecting to release NT7? Is there a beta tester program?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                      We consider performance and memory optimization very important and have spent considerable effort to improve these areas with NT7. Once we are in a position to disclose more information on this, we will provide more specific details.

Comment

Originally posted by molecool View Post
                        When are you expecting to release NT7? Is there a beta tester program?
                        molecool,

The most recent info from NT indicates a beta will be available by the end of Q2 09 (end of June).

Comment

Correct ctrlbrk - there will be an annoucement for public NinjaTrader 7 beta testing.

Comment

NT7 Beta

Well, I don't check the forum all the time. Can't you just put me on the list?

Correct ctrlbrk - there will be an annoucement for public NinjaTrader 7 beta testing.

Comment

Sure molecool

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM