Importing historical data requires restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing historical data requires restart

when I import historical data, I open a new chart but the chart shows the old data until I restart ninjtrader. it'd be nice if it would show the new data that I just imported. Is this possible?

Hello cunparis,

The imported data is displayed the same session on my end upon opening a new chart.

Please ensure you are not connected to a data feed afte you imported the data and opening a new chart.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello cunparis,

The imported data is displayed the same session on my end upon opening a new chart.

Please ensure you are not connected to a data feed afte you imported the data and opening a new chart.
      I'm not connected. I'm generating my data so I'm having to import it several times. What I noticed is that it doesn't seem to be updating when I import it. but if i exit and restart it does.

Here are the steps:

import historical data
      show a chart of the instrument
      change the text file with historical data (change the last close)
      import the historical data
      open a new chart

for me the chart doesn't change.

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
        I'm not connected. I'm generating my data so I'm having to import it several times. What I noticed is that it doesn't seem to be updating when I import it. but if i exit and restart it does.

Here are the steps:

import historical data
        show a chart of the instrument
        change the text file with historical data (change the last close)
        import the historical data
        open a new chart

for me the chart doesn't change.
        Even exiting & restarting doesn't seem to change it. but if I delete the historical data and then import it again then the chart is correct.

PS: Whenever I import historical data, the data entry fields do not retain their values. So I have to choose my instrument, dates, etc. again. It'd be nice if the window remembered these as do most of the other dialogs.
        Last edited by cunparis; 03-01-2009, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I only testing importing data once, so the second import of data is not reflected when creating a new chart.

I tested your steps, but I could not reproduce. The second import was reflected upon creating a new chart as well.

Did you save the changes you made to the .txt document?

Comment

I only testing importing data once, so the second import of data is not reflected when creating a new chart.

I tested your steps, but I could not reproduce. The second import was reflected upon creating a new chart as well.

Did you save the changes you made to the .txt document?
            Yes, I was regenerating the file each time. I checked it by loading it in a text editor. What I looked at was the last close. On one data set it was 2300. And I saw that on the chart. I regenerated some data and the close was 3200. but the charts still said 2300. even after exiting and restarting. I had to delete the historical data and reimport and then the close showed up as 3200.

It's weird that you cannot reproduce this. I can send you two data files if you would like to try it.

Comment

I tested by changing the first minute bar on a $EURUSD .txt file I used.

I used 1.4000 for the first bar, imported the file and created a new chart.

Changed the price to 1.5000, imported the file once more and created a new chart as well. The first bar was located at 1.5000.

Upon changing the .xt file did the .txt file name change?

Comment

I tested by changing the first minute bar on a $EURUSD .txt file I used.

I used 1.4000 for the first bar, imported the file and created a new chart.

Changed the price to 1.5000, imported the file once more and created a new chart as well. The first bar was located at 1.5000.

Upon changing the .xt file did the .txt file name change?
                I will try your example.

The name of the file didn't change for me.

Comment

Hello cunparis,

Sounds good, please send me the initial .txt file and tell me what modification you performed on your end and I will reproduce your steps.

Comment

Hello cunparis,

Sounds good, please send me the initial .txt file and tell me what modification you performed on your end and I will reproduce your steps.
                    Sorry for the late reply. I just tested it again and it works properly. My only guess is that while generating the data and testing it, several times I had import errors. Maybe that messed it up some how. Since then I've restarted ninjatrader and haven't had any errors it works fine.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Max238
                    by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                    24 responses