Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

attempting to chart skf

All,

I'm attempting to chart SDS (NYSE:SDS) using NinjaTrader. My data feed is from Barchart.com. (to the best of my knowledge Barchart supports NYSE feeds).

I configured the data series as follows:
    • Type - Stock
    • Name - SDF
    • Exchange - Nyse

When I try to create the graph, I receive an error stating "You need to select an instrument."

Thoughts?

Hello camino,

Please set exchange to Default.

In addition, make sure to enter SDS and not SDF.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      Hello camino,

Please set exchange to Default.

In addition, make sure to enter SDS and not SDF.
      Thanks for the quick response Jason.

I was definitely entering SDS; I simply made a typo in my post. I'm still confused on how to go about charting some of these ETFs, however.

When I select "Default" as the instrument type, there are only options available in the "Name" dropdown, none of which are applicable in this circumstance.

I did read in another thread that I have to manually add the instrument. The instructions, however, must be for a different version of Ninja Trader as I don't see the ability to "manually type in the ETF name" as is mentioned in the thread.

Thoughts? Do I have to go to the instrument manager to add SDS to then map the symbol to Barchart?

Any help appreciated.

Comment

Hello camino,

ETF's are created as Stock in the Instrument Manager. I was referring to enter 'Default' as the exchange.

Let me know if this will allow you to chart the SDS.

Comment

Not to Hijack the thread, but are these ETFs not on ARCA?
          (BTW for IB you need to pay separately for the ARCA price feed)

When adding ETFs is 'default' enough for the Instrument Manager?

Comment

When creating a new equity instrument (stocks, ETF's) in the Instrument Manager, please enable both exchanges; the Default exchange and the exchange the instrument is traded on.

Comment

Did you figure this out yet?

I can't seem to chart any ARCA data in NinjaTrader with Interactive Brokers (IB) as my broker..

Comment

Hello JDTrader,

Could you please provide me an example that I can test on my end. Please see the instructions below to create new instruments in the Instrument Manager.

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument.

From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager

Press the "New" button

*Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)

Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider

Press the "OK" button

* If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.

Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner

Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system

Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument

Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply ..

The problem is - Interactive Brokers told me to use "Directed" instead of SMART when loading the ARCA data into their charting software..

I'm able to chart ARCA data in NinjaTrader on the fly, but not able to load historical data..

I don't know if there is a work around for this in NinjaTrader.. I feel like I've tried everything.. !!?!?!

Comment

Hello JDTRader,

Are you able to receive historical data for Arca products in TWS?

Are you using a live license in NinjaTrader?

Comment

In TWS I can get historical data IF I select "Directed" and then select ARCA for the exchange .. Doesn't work if I try using SMART .. Note: Using SMART works for NASDAQ and NYSE data.. not sure why IB can't use SMART for ARCA?!??

I'm using a simulation only key ..

Comment

Could you please provide me an example for me to test on my end.

Did you try enabling both the Default and Arca exchange for the instrument or Default only?

Comment

In TWS, when I right click on a symbol and go to "Charts > New Chart" it opens a Chart window with SMART as the defaulted exchange.

TWS gives me the following error - "No Market data permissions for ARCA STK".

I need to re enter the symbol and go to "Stock (Directed)" and then select ARCA as the exchange. (I have no clue why IB works like this for ARCA listed stocks!??!)

Please see the attached image ..

Thanks for your help..
                          Attached Files

Comment

BTW: I did try enabling both the Default and Arca exchange in NinjaTrader.

Update: I talked with IB about the issue, and they said I couldn't use SMART routing cause I don't subscribe to NYSE also .. Not sure if there's a way around this in NinjaTrader !?!?
                            Last edited by JDTrader; 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Hello JDTrader,

There is no workaround if you are not authorized by IB.

Are you still unable to display the requested data in NinjaTrader charts for Arca products? If so, please provide me a NinjaTrader example, which I can test on my end.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes