New bar start based on system time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New bar start based on system time?

Hi, I'm wondering if the minute bars are based off of the system time. For some reason, it appears that NT is starting to draw a new bar before my system time reaches the appropriate time.

For example, I just saw this morning that the 10:45 bar on my 15 minute chart had already begun to draw, but my system time reads 10:28. The bar timer was reading 16 minutes.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

Hello mazachan,

Thank you for your post.

You are correct, NinjaTrader does build bars based off of system time. You can find more information about how NinjaTrader builds chart bars at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...ChartBars.html

You may want to sync your PC clock and see if this resolves the issue. To sync your PC clock, right click and select Date and Time settings, navigate to the Internet Time tab and re-sync.

If the issue persists, please send a note to [email protected] and we will troubleshoot the issue further.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

My PC clock is set to sync every day. Again, for example, the 11:00am bar just started, but my system time reads 10:44. The bar timer read 15:50, so the new bar is starting almost a minute early. In some instances, as early as 2-3 minutes.

There also is no issue with the connection, as my download speed was just clocked at 7mbps and upload at over 1mbps. My latency to the testing server was 140ms.
      Last edited by mazachan; 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Hello mazachan,

Thank you for your reply.

The bar time reports the time at the end of the bar. Therefore, at 10:45 the next bar will read 11:00. This is expected behavior.

If the current bar begins at 11:44:30 as per your local PC clock, it indicates your data feed provider provides the data with their native time stamp. NinjaTrader will time stamp bars using your PC clock with some providers, but not all.

The BarTimer indicator is calculated as per your PC clock. This will cause the BarTimer to reflect a value of 00:15:30.

Comment

Does Zen-Fire provide the time stamps? That is the connection that I am using. Do you know if they have a server that I could sync my time to, or know who I can contact for that for the sake of consistency?

Comment

Hi mazachan,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Zen-Fire does provide native time stamps for their data.
            I am unaware of any time server provided by Zen-Fire. I suggest you contact your broker to see if they have any more information on this matter.

Comment

My last question is, if some of the data providers are including timestamps, why aren't the charts for those providers based off the timestamps? Or will this be something to be included in the next version of NT?

Comment

Not sure I follow: bars built from data of the providers mentioned will go by the timestamps of these providers.

The BarTimer issue is not related.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:19 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:25 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes