Strange results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange results

I have developed a strategy in analyzer utilizing MA crossovers on a renko bar chart. However looking at the trades my greatest loss comes out to $262.90 of which there were several. Doing the math based on the lot size +commisions equates to 10pips?? the bar set up is for renko 20 "ticks"
    which for my broker IB (who quotes 1/2 pips) = 10 pips.

Watching it trade on simulator it's losses are at least twice as much as when tested. So why would a simple strategy set up through the analyzer give such uniform losses (ie $262.90) as if there were a "stop" inherant in the strategy.

I understand renko bars are in fact uniform and if you watch it trade you see filled executions beyond the range of each renko bar, which is expected. However the false readings in losses and over performance seems just plain dangerous with this product.

rightcoast,

Please try on regular minute charts with SampleMACrossOver. If you still experience inaccurate PnLs you may want to check your settings in Tools->Options->Misc->Quote currencies (I am guessing you are doing forex).
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Josh,

Thats correct I am trying this with forex. The settings you mention were changed to HalfPips to accomodate IB's platform. I tried testing it with timed bars and I get negative results and more realistic "scattered" losses.
      So does this mean I should not backtest/trade renko bars on NT?

Comment

rightcoast,

All I can say is that if it works on minute bars then NinjaTrader is behaving properly. Since Renko bars are 3rd party addons I cannot comment on their viability.

Comment

Hi Josh,

I figured since it was created by a Ninjascript consultant and freely downloaded from this site that it would work on NT? If I am doing something wrong then shame on me. I cant speak for everyone but I am
          using real money here just like the money I paid for this product.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people had lost some if not all there trading capital on NT. This product has a lot of bugs and intricate fixes that basically leaves no room for error. Even on the most stable platform with accurate testing will generate large differences in realtime trading. Thats
          why I was hoping to get at least an accurate backtest?

I don't come on this forum often but look at my prior posts. All these little bugs have cost me money, sorry gotta look elsewhere....
          Who can I contact for a refund on this?

Thanks

Comment

rightcoast,

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately we do not have control over 3rd party addons and cannot guarantee they work fully or not. Please send an email to sales [at] ninjatrader [dot] com.

Comment

rightcoast,

I fully understand your concern, but unfortunately there is just nothing I can do for Renko bars. It may be best if you brought this up directly to the consultant that created this work and see if they can address it in their code. As you have tested on regular NT time intervals, your trades worked great so we do not believe there is something on our end that we can do to address issues with Renko bars.

Instead of relying on a chart to try to visualize what the price should have been I suggest you print the price and time as the trade occurred. That way you know exactly what the timestamp of the trade price was. Remember, backtesting and live are very rarely the same for a number of reasons. Market conditions, actual live tick data, etc. all influence actual fill prices. As far as why you are getting a price that is no where around 10AM, I unfortunately could not tell you as I am not qualified to answer any questions on these 3rd party Renko bars.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by wzgy0920, Today, 09:53 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes