Nt 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Druid View Post
    We are all anxious to get the NT 7 update but it must be remembered that software development is a complex excercise. I for one would rather have a late delivery with limited bugs than an "on time" delivery with unlimited bugs. Anyone who has dealt with Microsoft DOS and windows upgrades over the years can attest to the aggravation caused by premature software releases.
    I believe people who share your opinion are probably successfully running NT 6.5 without deal-killing crashes.

Whereas, there are some people like me who experience Ninja crashes daily and even sometimes hourly (due to tick-intensive data/work).

I would welcome even an Alpha build of NT 7 so I can deploy it in a VM and start testing against it.

Mike
    Last edited by ctrlbrk; 04-03-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      To clarify: NT never used the IB API software components but always directly accessed the sockets as documented by the IB sample code. Thus, any update on the IB API software components are irrelevant.
      Hey Dierk,
      The only way I see resolving this Time & Sales issue from IB is to enable Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) or RealTimeData (RTD) with back fill capability for you program. This might mean this request won't make it to NT7. I found the same bug on my other platform AmiBroker! So it looks like a common bug.

On the other hand, the 2 decimal limit might be easily removed for stocks and it's working well on Amibroker. So I'm sure that would be address in this new version.

Bid & Ask prices would also reflect the change so this means I can still record the Depth. So all is well as far as depth is concern. I'll leave the Time & Sales issue out until later.

NT7 will be a very welcome software for my trading toolbox.

regards

Paul

Comment

After many years of managing software projects and then large programs I believe I still remember that ;-)

As was mentioned above me, NT6.5 has serious stability and performance issues. Furthermore repeatedly missed delivery dates should be a cause for worry for any client. Lastly, communicating and managing customers expectations is an elementary part of both software projects and customer service. Hence the questions on NT7.

People are making large investments in time and effort into this application far beyond just the cost of the license. They need to be treated accordingly. That is if the company would like them to continue doing that.

We are all anxious to get the NT 7 update but it must be remembered that software development is a complex excercise. I for one would rather have a late delivery with limited bugs than an "on time" delivery with unlimited bugs. Anyone who has dealt with Microsoft DOS and windows upgrades over the years can attest to the aggravation caused by premature software releases.

Comment

Originally posted by TraderEyal View Post
          People are making large investments in time and effort into this application far beyond just the cost of the license. They need to be treated accordingly. That is if the company would like them to continue doing that.
          Thank you for wording this so well. I completely agree.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post
            I believe people who share your opinion are probably successfully running NT 6.5 without deal-killing crashes.

Whereas, there are some people like me who experience Ninja crashes daily and even sometimes hourly (due to tick-intensive data/work).

I would welcome even an Alpha build of NT 7 so I can deploy it in a VM and start testing against it.

Mike
            Thank you for yor reply. Your comments have given me a better understanding of your concerns. I had assumed everyone had experienced a stable install. Other than than the occassional hard startup I have never had ANY NT crashes. I run it on dual monitors 10-12hrs a day 5 days a week with 9 open graphs on either my desk top or laptop. Use IB data and only trade currency futures. Clearly I have been lucky thus far.

Comment

I was lucky like you Druid, then one day the slow start-ups, crashes, and lockups started. Re-installs, maintenance releases, and prayer have not helped. I have been hoping that NT7 will resolve the issues, but that remains to be seen.

Comment

Thank you for yor reply. Your comments have given me a better understanding of your concerns. I had assumed everyone had experienced a stable install. Other than than the occassional hard startup I have never had ANY NT crashes. I run it on dual monitors 10-12hrs a day 5 days a week with 9 open graphs on either my desk top or laptop. Use IB data and only trade currency futures. Clearly I have been lucky thus far.
                Hi Druid,

Ninja is stable for me too, as long as I don't do any backtesting. As soon as I use it for backtesting, particularly with tick based data, then it's "over". Ninja just has many, many problems in this area. I suspect most people probably never use this feature.

Mike

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                47 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post aligator  
                Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes