Cross Above / Cross Below for NT7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross Above / Cross Below for NT7?

CrossAbove/CrossBelow conditions are badly needed in the market analyzer and should have been there since day one in my opinion.

For myself, and I suspect many others, market analyzer alerts are almost useless without them and insanely frustrating.

For most indicators I can think of (ADX, CCI, RSX, MACD, KasePeakOscillator etc) CrossAbove/CrossBelow are the primary type of alert I would want.

Oscillators oscillate, generally around a center number like 0, 50 or 100 and the whole point of using them with the analyzer/alerts is to be notified when they cross above/below the center indicating a possible trend change. Unless I'm missing something there is no easy way to use these types of indicators without cross conditions.

Greater/less than doesn't work because it only triggers once and needs to be reset every time and having an arbitrary re-arm time is pointless, I don't need to be alerted every x seconds if something is still true, but only when it becomes true.

The way I see it, this shouldn't be seen as a possible enhancement to consider for the future but rather should be treated as a basic requirement for a functional market analyzer, a design flaw, and addressed as soon as possible. Its in every other part of the program, why not here, where its just as useful if not more so?

Its been almost two years since the market analyzer was introduced, can we please have this most basic of enhancements for NT7?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
    Hello,

Unfortunately, the Market Analyzer alerts do not support "CrossBelow". However, it is on the list for possible enhancements of the software.

The alert will fire only once if the condition is met. However, you can re-arm the alert. For example, if you use a value of 60, the alert will trigger again after 60 seconds if the conditions are met.
    Last edited by Elliott Wave; 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM.

EW,

I've experienced the same limitations.

The Market Analyzer's "Condition" selections are currently "equals", "is greater than", "is less than" and "is not equal".

I agree that "CrossAbove" and "CrossBelow" should also be added, as you've descibed.

In addition, I would like to see "is greater than or equal", and "is less than or equal" added.

My conjecture is that none of these are excessively complicated, so hopefully the developers will be able to jam this into their busy schedules before the release of V7.

Comment

Thank you for spending time and voicing your ideas. I will forward them to our developers.
      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I completely agree!

Not that I want NT to become StockFinder by any stretch of the imagination, but, (and this is a big BUT), one thing that StockFinder does VERY well is it's scanning. It also implements a great many variants in which to create your own scan. It is so powerful that it would be the deciding factor to keep me from dropping it in favor of NT. Though, I like NT in regards to everything else.

Just my opinion, but if NT wishes to keep up with some of the software that is coming out, extensive (custom) scanning capabilities are a necessity -as scanning/backtesing is becoming the norm.

I understand that NT is more of a 'trading platform' in the strict sense of the word, but I think it has so much more potential and room for growth.

For example, it took me 5 minutes to make a custom scan in StockFinder which, unfortunately, is proving to be much more difficult than it's worth to figure out in NT. Link to the problem:

Thanks for listening! Here's hoping for NT7 to make my final decision!!

-robert

Comment

We will add Cross conditions to the Market Analyzer for NT7.
          RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
            We will add Cross conditions to the Market Analyzer for NT7.
            This is great news!

By the sounds of things NT7 will be in a league of its own. I can hardly wait...

Comment

That is great news!

I hope 'cross conditions' in Market Analyzer also include things like.

1. Breaking out from yesterdays high/close/low
              2. Breaking out from a customizable time period (first hour/first .5 hours/etc.)

thanks for listening.

I'm about to do a search, but has there been a recent updated release date for NT&?

-robert

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

Originally posted by rretch View Post
                  That is great news!

I hope 'cross conditions' in Market Analyzer also include things like.

1. Breaking out from yesterdays high/close/low
                  2. Breaking out from a customizable time period (first hour/first .5 hours/etc.)

thanks for listening.

I'm about to do a search, but has there been a recent updated release date for NT&?

-robert
                  I think those are things that could be handled easily by a custom indicator, and as soon as there are cross conditions in the market analyzer it will be much easier to accomplish.

As for NT7, the first beta (afiak) is scheduled to be released 'sometime in Q2 2009'. As for the final version its anyone's guess, but judging by the beta cycle for NT 6.5, I would assume sometime in 2010.

Comment

a simpler and general approach

In Market analyzer, in either filter or alert conditions, the comparing value would be nice to set as a variable (an indicator or price HLC etc.) instead of a numeric value. This shall solve most these issue in one shot.

Comment

Hello,

I will send this to development for consideration, thanks!
                      DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i am still using 6.5 until 7 is out of beta ..... (for other reason as well) ... but my question: with the updates that are still being done to 6.5 ..... why hasn't this feature been included by now???? i've seen posts dating back to 2007 asking for this feature......

are there ANY considerations to adding this feature to 6.5 ???

Comment

Hello pfsmedical,

Thank you for your post.

This idea has been forwarded to our Development Department for further review & consideration. The addition of new features is at the discretion of management. Since you can program these types of custom studies/filters it is not necessary to wait for it to be added. If you are interested in NinjaScript (NinjaTrader’s programming language) then we can forward some resources to help you get started.

NinjaTrader encourages users to forward their suggestions & feedback so keep those ideas coming!
                          ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by bill2023, Yesterday, 08:51 AM
                          8 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post bill2023  
                          Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
                          6 responses
                          0 likes